Old 04-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Serf

Default Re: Dome Insulation

Thanks gjbingham. I posted pictures by using the post photos area, but I could only do one at a time. My dome was full of big cracks, I had used some premixed high heat mortar and it didn't dry quite right. I ended up covering it all with a thin layer of refmix mortar and that seemed to seal it quite nicely. I've got the vent and chimney in, but I haven't got the pictures off my camera yet. I'll make sure I get at least 2 inches of the perlcrete.

Jim
Old 04-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for posting. I saw the pics. I'd be sure to get inside the dome and fill any voids with mortar with a pointing trowel or mortar bag, just to make sure you've got the bricks locked in. It looks great. It would have been fun to watch the entire build. Sorry I bitched you out a bit. Just having fun.

-
Old 04-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Serf

Yeah, that's what David's wife was doing inside the dome. I think we've filled in all the gaps. By the way, we're planning on using something called stucoflex for the last covering on the dome. Have you heard anything about that or used it yourself?

James
Old 04-08-2008, 07:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yep, cool pics. I saw them first off and thought "huh, when did that dome go up then?" .. till I got as far as this thread again

Very nice dome! I like the way you supported the last couple of rows, looks like a neat solution there.

Whats the stucoflex out of? I used some all acrylic stuff on mine and it worked really well.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Serf

Stucoflex is some sort of "elastomeric acrylic finish". You can order it in almost any color and it either trowels on or sprays on. You can go to stucoflex.com to look at it.