Old 01-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Dome/Door height ratio with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
It doesn't sound crazy, but if I understand your plan, you may have structural issues, with the dome exerting too much force on the soldier course.
I take your point....

How about making the first chain a ring of brick cut in half and
standing on their ends, with the thin edge (2 1/2) facing

inside the oven instead of the full brick soldier course described above?
Old 01-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dome/Door height ratio with

Well, if you are interested, I could certainly post the links to the information required to calculate the requirements, but some of them are pretty esoteric and will require some rather large wild ass guesses on your part.

As a rule, it is better to proceed under best practices and established methods.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Well, if you are interested, I could certainly post the links to the information required to calculate the requirements, but some of them are pretty esoteric and will require some rather large wild ass guesses on your part.

As a rule, it is better to proceed under best practices and established methods.
I've made a few WAGs, still alive

So, you are saying its taking an uncomfortable risk trying to have it both ways....?

Although an edumicated man, the esoteric data would be wasted on me

Thanks for your input and patience. I know it takes a lot of time to respond to newbies over and over again....I appreciate your help!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

No worries. Worst case scenario your oven collapses and you have to start over, so if you are confident with your design, my advice is to go for it.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lburou,
For what it's worth, my oven dimensions are almost identical to what you are planning. After difficulty getting my soldiers to mortar together properly in 100F heat, I switched them out to horizontal courses. I feel better about eliminating the outward thrust the dome places on soldiers (thank you dmun and TS) and feel my dome is structurally more solid.
John
Old 01-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
No worries. Worst case scenario your oven collapses and you have to start over, so if you are confident with your design, my advice is to go for it.
That is a show stopper! I've seen several people do the soldier course, I guess they don't show the dome falling down

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Lburou,
For what it's worth, my oven dimensions are almost identical to what you are planning. After difficulty getting my soldiers to mortar together properly in 100F heat, I switched them out to horizontal courses. I feel better about eliminating the outward thrust the dome places on soldiers (thank you dmun and TS) and feel my dome is structurally more solid.
John
Thank you John, I'll look around for any pictures you have posted on this site, maybe that will clear my thinking

Leeb

Last edited by Lburou; 01-02-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Without buttressing or the tension cable method, I think a low dome oven could possibly have structural issues placed upon the soldier course. If you choose not to use one of those two methods, I would consider cutting the soldier course nearly in half with a catliever angled top to get that dome into its turning as soon as possibly.
The best solution seems to be Dmuns idea of removing the soldier course and simply using the same 1/2 cut bricks set horizontally just like the rest of the dome. You will lose a bit of height towards the outside walls, but considerable less stress on the side bricks and mortar

RT
Old 01-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
with a catliever angled top
OK youve lost me, what is it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:52 AM
Master Builder

I have a 60" low dome with the soldier course and no structural problems. The insulation layer seems to hold things together.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:25 AM
Apprentice

i have a 36" and as giannifoccaccia mentions earlier in the thread, the dome just ended up a couple of inches taller than i had planned. i built on a full soldier course with a cut taper 12" high door and a 21" dome, so the opening ratio is 57%. i had the gang over on NYEve, and we made 15 or 20 pizza's. i have a slight problem with smoke coming out of the doorway, it discolors my exterior arch tile, but i think (as Dino told me) that my chimney needs to be a bit higher. i'm currently at 24", and my oven is somewhat sunken in my back yard.