Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   dome cover (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/dome-cover-14629.html)

rj mineo 10-18-2010 09:36 AM

dome cover

in the photo gallery of residential ovens on page 16 of 35 there is a picture from the virgin islands that shows a dome cover which appears to have grape vines and grapes on it with rivets circling the bottom. looks very much like cast iron- anyone have any leads as to the history and/or the make-up of this cover. also looking for info as to where to look for the arc/landing/vent/cast iron door assembly of the ristorante 110- thnx much for any help on this two items

dmun 10-18-2010 09:52 AM

Re: dome cover

It's polite to put in a link to what you are talking about.

rj mineo 10-18-2010 12:54 PM

certainly not my intention to be impolite- i'll try again

from the forno bravo home page at the top menu bar- click on photos
from there click on residential ovens
from there go to page 16 of the 35 pages
on the top row there is a picture from the virgins islands which appears to be cast iron(?)- grape leaves and grapes(?) with rivets circling the bottom.

home page again. top menu bar- click on photos
click on commercial ovens and the pictures montecompatri,bargo tuscany, and aussie 1-9 show what appear to be the opening/arch/vent/landing/cast iron door of the ristorante line of ovens

i will be constructing the 42" pompeii brick oven and would like to marry the ristorante 110 opening assembly with the pompeii oven with a dome cover somewwhat like the virgin islands dome- i am looking for any leads/help that would give me information regarding the material/construction of the dome and the availability of just purchasing the ristorante 110 opening- thnx much for any feedback on these two items

fxpose 10-18-2010 01:14 PM

It's best and easier for the readers if you posted the actual photo or at least provide a direct link to the photo: :)

Pizza Oven Photo Virgin Islands

Tscarborough 10-18-2010 02:33 PM

2 possibilities:

1. A sugar pot, although I have never seen one that was decorated.

2. Carved in place Stucco.

I would bet #2.

mn8tr 12-02-2010 06:36 AM

That V.I. oven is impressive, I love the detail. It almost looks like a pre-cast mold of some kind, very curious.

Tman1 12-02-2010 07:29 AM

I wonder if the exterior is 'cob art'? It looks like it has the ability to be shaped however you want. I would have to agree that the Virgin Islands dome looks like someone had some skill.

Tman1 12-02-2010 07:35 AM

Here's one more... this is the one I knew I had seen pics of before. Quite the craft.
Artisan Builders Collective | Compressed Earth Block

mn8tr 12-03-2010 06:52 AM

Thanks for posting, that was very interesting and such talented group.

Lburou 01-08-2011 02:05 PM

Go to this link. Steve gives some instruction on carving concrete while its still green. May be of interest to you.

Good luck with your oven rj :)

Those certainly are some examples of unique oven art.