Old 10-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Designing a taller dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
6" does not seem like a lot, but it makes a fair amount of difference for cooking Neapolitan style true 60-90 second pizzas.
Fair enough. Though I still fail to see the advantage if the cooking time is it. I can cook a pizza in 90 seconds or less in my hemispherical profile oven. In fact Neapolitan is the way that I almost always do pizza. So there doesn't seem to be that big of a difference in it?

But it might just be a case that with out having tried one it's hard to grasp the difference in it.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I can cook a 90 second Neapolitan in my high dome barrel vault too, but I can't do it all night long, the floor cools too fast. Maybe the low dome is able to recharge the floor faster. Isn't the effectiveness of radiation the inverse of distance or something?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Apprentice

Ahhh! Ok that makes sense!

I haven't tried any big pizza parties so can't tell how long the charge would last. The most I've done is around 10 pies.

I know light dissipates in inverse square of distance, would be logical that heat does the same as it's just invisible wave length of light.

Another thing that came to mind is that hemispherical shape will concentrate the radiation much closer to its surface than less aggressive curvature. There for the lower profile will radiate less concentrated but larger area. And as the surface is closer the floor, even though less concentrated, is most likely about the same heat as the more concentrated reflection of more aggressive profile. But radiated to a larger surface area, and so heating more of the floor.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Laborer

I have some updates. I measured the height of the opening on my current oven and it's 13.5" so it's lower. If the rule of thumb is the door height is 2/3 the dome height, and I go for a larger oven, there might not need to be anything for me to do unconventionally. I'm trying out that dome measurements spreadsheet and I'm seeing something like 29" dome height for a 56" oven, and I guess I'd be looking at 18" for the opening with that. That's more than enough. I'd probably make it something like 16" in that case and have it more flat on the top. I see a lot of pictures where the openings are very round, and I see it difficult to get dutch ovens in and out that way.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Laborer

What about hanging a stainless flap from hinges at the top of the door opening, so the opening/ceiling ratio is 62% when the flap is hanging down, but you can push the flap up to the ceiling for extra opening height (just when moving cookware in/out)? I've seen this in wood stoves, so you can load large chunks of wood but the smoke is contained.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Journeyman

I gotta ask. What exactly are you doing with these giant Dutch ovens that they are the primary concern for you oven? I mean I know everything is bigger in Texas, but man, lol.

I will state one last time I would do anything possible to avoid having a 29" dome height. That is truelly off the charts. My 42" oven has 12.75" dome height, 1/3 of what you are looking at.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuboyje View Post
I gotta ask. What exactly are you doing with these giant Dutch ovens that they are the primary concern for you oven? I mean I know everything is bigger in Texas, but man, lol.

I will state one last time I would do anything possible to avoid having a 29" dome height. That is truelly off the charts. My 42" oven has 12.75" dome height, 1/3 of what you are looking at.
The big thing is meat. Usually I throw a big dutch oven inside with the lid slightly ajar with a pork butt, brisket, or ribs in after it's cooled off to 250F or so, get a light smoke going, and smoke some meat. I try to do this overnight but it's usually done in six hours. Alternately, I'm looking at trying to slide a turkey in there on a pan. Otherwise, I'll be using the restaurant-sized aluminum deep baking pans with vegetables to roast. For that I don't need the height so much as for the tasty, tasty meat.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Master Builder

Hi Shuboyje,

If your dome height is 12.75, what is the height of your door opening. Is your oven for pizza exclusively? If you can get anything else in there, it will cook faster than a microwave oven, can take your eyes off the ball(food).
Old 10-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Journeyman

The door is an 18" x 8" arc. Never had an issue fitting anything I wanted to cook. My old smaller oven had a similar dome height and door size. Between the two I've cooked pizza, bread, turkey, chicken...the list goes on and on.

My oven is essentially a homebuilt Neapolitan pizza oven, so yes pizza is the number one goal, but it is certainly not a one trick pony.

Here is my oven:
So it begins.....
Old 10-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Master Builder

Thats one Cool looking oven, one trick pony or not, Mr. Pizzamakingman!