Old 06-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Design Help

Stagger the bricks if possible (running bond) it will make for a much stronger roof. Etc. is just repeat pattern.

Running bond should also be used for the back wall.

You may also wish to add a reveal at the entrance to the flu arch to provide a lip to seal on for your insulated door.
Attached Thumbnails
Design Help-image.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 06-04-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Photo of a nice reveal is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Design Help-image.jpg  
Old 06-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
Stagger the bricks if possible (running bond) it will make for a much stronger roof. Etc. is just repeat pattern.

Running bond should also be used for the back wall.

You may also wish to add a reveal at the entrance to the flu arch to provide a lip to seal on for your insulated door.

Thanks for the suggestion, I was wondering whether to use a running bond on the barrel itself but it makes sense that it would be stronger .... would you stagger the firebricks (tiles really) as well?

I like the reveal idea, I will incorporate this into my build for sure !

Last edited by Neil H; 06-05-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:53 AM
Serf

As you may have seen on my sketch, on the floor of the oven I had intended having the layer of Vcrete, then a layer of clay brick then a layer of firebrick tiles (25mm or 1 inch thick) but I am just wondering if the layer of clay brick will actually do anything? they are not needed for strength, my thought was that they would act as a heat sync and would aid in radiating heat back for cooking after the fire is out (I intend using the oven for roasts and bread etc as well as pizza) but will they actually do anything? would the firebrick layer of 25mm be sufficient?

would I be better off using a thin layer of compacted sand to get the base 100% level before I put the layer of firebrick tiles down???
Old 06-05-2014, 06:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mr. C and his drawings are right on with a running bond. IMHO, the 100 mm clay bricks under your 25 mm fire bricks will give you additional thermal mass to ensure extended cooking heat after the fire is out. I would continue as you originally designed.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 06-05-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil H View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I was wondering whether to use a running bond on the barrel itself but it makes sense that it would be stronger .... would you stagger the firebricks (tiles really) as well?

I like the reveal idea, I will incorporate this into my build for sure !
Yes and also alternate the layers of firebrick and your clays so the joints alternate.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The floor tiles should be laid in at a 45 degree angle so as not to catch the edges of the peel.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:18 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
Yes and also alternate the layers of firebrick and your clays so the joints alternate.
The firebrick is a different size to the joins with it will seldom line up with the clay brick joins.

I have heard that the join between the back wall and the barrel is a weak spot

I have planned on keying in the firebrick and joining the clay bricks, i.e. the back wall will not be a floating structure but will be tied into the barrel brickwork .... is this the right way to go about things?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
The floor tiles should be laid in at a 45 degree angle so as not to catch the edges of the peel.
I have read about this and plan on laying them at a 45deg angle. in order to make this layer as flat as possible (it sits on top of a layer of clay bricks), I plan on putting a very thin layer of plaster sand down (like 2-5mm) to ensure a smooth base for the oven
Old 06-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Serf

In terms of the chimney, I have been eying a pot out in the garden, of course my better half has no idea if the impending confiscation of her pot, but the pot is about 80cm high and has a diameter of maybe 250mm tapering to around 200mm, if I cut the bottom off then it will make a very good looking chimney, but will it perform well? is there a formula to calculate the required chimney diameter?

Edit: a friend has offered me a 6 inch steel pipe 1.2m long as a second and much lighter option which I am VERY tempted to go for... any thoughts?

Last edited by Neil H; 06-11-2014 at 02:46 AM.