Old 06-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Design Help

Neil,

I have been following your thread with Gulf, he knows what he is talking about. Vcrete is a decent insulator but not as effective as CaSi board (floor) or ceramic fiber blanket (dome) so the Vcrete has to be thicker to achieve the same level of CF thermal insulation. Nothing wrong with Vcrete, just to plan accordingly for the added thickness. I have 4" CaSi/FoamGlas on floor and 3" of CF plus 2" of Vcrete on dome. Oven holds heat for 4-5 days with outside of dome at ambient air temperature.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:08 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Neil,

I have been following your thread with Gulf, he knows what he is talking about. Vcrete is a decent insulator but not as effective as CaSi board (floor) or ceramic fiber blanket (dome) so the Vcrete has to be thicker to achieve the same level of CF thermal insulation. Nothing wrong with Vcrete, just to plan accordingly for the added thickness. I have 4" CaSi/FoamGlas on floor and 3" of CF plus 2" of Vcrete on dome. Oven holds heat for 4-5 days with outside of dome at ambient air temperature.
Thanks for the info mate !

I cannot find anything other than Vcrete so i think it will have to do ....

What do you think of the clay brick and firebrick layer?
Old 06-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Journeyman

Just curious, why are you using 1" firebrick plus a layer of clay brick? Seems like a lot of extra work; you are essentially building two domes. Why not just using a single layer of full firebrick. I am guessing either cost/availability of full firebricks.

Also, is your slab supported in the middle in any way?
Old 06-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Neil,

I believe you are building a barrel, so the two layers are not near as complex cutting as a dome. The total brick thickness is just under 5" so a little thicker on the barrel and quite a bit more on the floor. It may take a little more fuel to fire the oven but you use what you have to work with. I have no scientific documentation but the word of mouth is Vcrete is about 1/2 the thermal efficiency of a CF blanket. So 6" Vcrete equal to about 3" CF. Again, like Gulf says and your latest sketch, insulate the barrel, floor, and walls away from the reinforced concrete hearth.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:32 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeppiper View Post
Just curious, why are you using 1" firebrick plus a layer of clay brick? Seems like a lot of extra work; you are essentially building two domes. Why not just using a single layer of full firebrick. I am guessing either cost/availability of full firebricks.

Also, is your slab supported in the middle in any way?
Cost is the driver here, a full firebrick is around $3 here whereas a tile is around $0.60 so a massive difference
Old 06-03-2014, 01:34 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Neil,

I believe you are building a barrel, so the two layers are not near as complex cutting as a dome. The total brick thickness is just under 5" so a little thicker on the barrel and quite a bit more on the floor. It may take a little more fuel to fire the oven but you use what you have to work with. I have no scientific documentation but the word of mouth is Vcrete is about 1/2 the thermal efficiency of a CF blanket. So 6" Vcrete equal to about 3" CF. Again, like Gulf says and your latest sketch, insulate the barrel, floor, and walls away from the reinforced concrete hearth.
Thanks UtahB, yes i am building a dome. I will put as much Vcrete as i can on the base ...
Old 06-03-2014, 07:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I guess nomenclature confusion, dome to me is an igloo, vault and barrel to me are the same so if you are building a vault or barrel then you brick work will be much easier with the two layers of brick.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I built my vault out of 2 layers of 1-1/2" firebrick. I also cut them in half lengthwise to reduce the gaps even more. Be sure to fully bed the second layer onto the first; any gaps will act as an insulator.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ahh, Tscar's, pic shows more than words can describe.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:53 AM
Serf

Thanks for the comments and support guys.

Attached is the latest version of my design

this is a schematic and not strictly to scale

the chimney is not shown on the sketch but will come out of the entrance arch as shown in the blue arrow.

the insulation is thicker than shown and will be a Vcrete mix

also not shown is the vcrete over the outside of the vault itself

At the moment I have built the stand and thrown the concrete slab, this weekend will hopefully be the Vcretre, wall buttress and base laying ....
Attached Thumbnails
Design Help-picture2.jpg