Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Covering lumps with stucco?

It doesn't crack, and even if it does, it doesn't matter since it is in reality a temporary structure to allow a thin even coating of stucco over the dome.

Note that I am not recommending this as the best way, simply the easiest way.

Best practice is a layer of expanded lath over the blanket which is then filled with the perlcrete and then stuccoed.
Attached Thumbnails
Covering lumps with stucco?-100712genesoven.jpg  
Old 12-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: Covering lumps with stucco?

Gudday
Why all the bother about lumps and bumps. Mine I recon has got a few wrinkles as well....a coat of matt earth coloured paint a bit of wheathering you get a very natural rock like appearance.
The 10 yr old down the road calls it the" fred fintstone house"....but I recon his dad put him up to that so I still feed him pizza anyway

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

you can just keep stringing your wire around and over the dome like a spider web. Every now and again you can give a loose wire two 90 degree bends with the nose of a pair of pliers to keep them reasonably firm. I gave up using chicken wire, or lathe as reinforcing years ago because of the problem of fitting it to a compound curve. Throw in some reinforcing fibres into your stucco mix as well.

Last edited by david s; 12-04-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Why all the bother about lumps and bumps.
Principally because my wife doesn't like the look of the lumpy stucco'd ovens she's seen. Also because I was hoping to cover the stucco with a tile mosaic. In any case, I'm less concerned about the lumps from bunched up blanket, as the ridges from overlapping layers.

@david s: I actually just picked up some reinforcing fibers this morning when I went to the brick yard for a flue tile. Do you think I could cover the "valleys" with extra stucco, particularly if I've got a spiderweb of wire over them?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The problem with having thin and thick areas on stucco (especially large differences) is that they tend to cause cracking right at the edge of the thick portion. However, this type cracking is cured almost 100% by the addition of fibers.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You could try mixing some vermiculite or perlite 50/50 with mortar and filling the valleys with it prior to your spider web and stucco layer.

Last edited by david s; 12-04-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool Re: Covering lumps with stucco?

Gudday
"Principally because my wife doesn't like the look of the lumpy stucco'd ovens "

That fair enough ....happy wife happy life....a wfo is definitely one project that you have to have the wife happy with too

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 01-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Master Builder

Here is what my plan is when i get to that point. Pile layers and layers of insulation blanket, then use flexible/thin rebar like metal, bend it around the dome, then lay down stucco/chicken wire, then apply stucco. In addition i was thinking of laying down foil over the insulation so the moisture from the stucco does not get the insulation wet.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Here is what my plan In addition i was thinking of laying down foil over the insulation so the moisture from the stucco does not get the insulation wet.
I tried the foil between insulation and stucco on an oven I built a few years ago. I wish I hadn't because it keeps the moisture in. Others have also confirmed this.IMO You are better off applying the stucco straight over the insulation, then wrapping it in cling wrap and leaving it for a week to make it stronger.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:23 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I tried the foil between insulation and stucco on an oven I built a few years ago. I wish I hadn't because it keeps the moisture in. Others have also confirmed this.IMO You are better off applying the stucco straight over the insulation, then wrapping it in cling wrap and leaving it for a week to make it stronger.
Thanks for the tip, how about if you first dry out the oven then install the foil then the blanket, this way there wont be any moisture left.