Old 03-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Counter Top surface for pizza prep.

I agree that you can do something nice and decorative for your outdoor kitchen counters, and then use a piece of marble or something similar for pizza prep.

That's what I did.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Polished concrete.

Pour it yourself, you can make it any shape you want.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:01 AM
Apprentice

Arrow Re: Counter Top surface for pizza prep.

I have a slab of black granite on which I prepare my pizzas, (made 24 today for an Easter family get together), but it shows every knife cut and pizza cutter marks. I would be devistated if I spent thousands of dollars on a complete granite bench top kitchen and have this happen. Also, granite or marble is hard, cold and unforgiving with fine wine glasses being put on and knocked over. (Yes I know, don't knock them over or don't drink or use polycarbonate glasses).
I like the laminated hardwood bench tops as they have much more character and warmth, easy to make and maintain.

Rastys
Old 04-15-2009, 05:09 AM
Peasant

Hi all,

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the use of ceramic tile as counter top material. Not as nice looking as marble or granite but much cheaper.

My inside kitchen workbench is not usable for making pizza dough, so when I did pizza the other day I used a leftover tile that I had and it worked really well. Its 60*60 cm and thus the edges cause no problem. It has a very smooth glaced surface that is extremely durable and easy to clean. I will probably use this for my outside kitchen area.

Might be worth investigating in case you are looking for a cheaper solution.

Cheers.
Kosta
Old 04-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Kosta,

I have porcelain tile on my oven landing. I love the way it looks. When I build my seating bars, they will have matching porcelain tops. My prep area will have something solid (not sure what yet!).

Updated!

Old 04-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I poured my own 1 1/2 in thick by 24 in by 48 in out of concrete.

Ground and polished the top using a 5 inch angle grinder.