Old 07-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Serf

Unhappy Re: Chimney Questions(s)

Thanks everybody for your help. I did find 8x8 flue and installed it today but ran into two small problems. One problem was me being impatient and installing the chiminey before the mortar was totaly set. I am using a premix mortar that I got from a local company. We stacked two 8x8 flue pieces in place for the chiminey. The chiminey held and we were proud, so we went out to lunch. Then came the other problem, while at lunch we got hit with an unexpected rainstorm. The mortar got wet and weak. The arch gave way and the chiminey came tumbling down. Nothing broke and no one was hurt but a dumb move on my part. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. I will put up some photos later.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Chimney Questions(s)

Just take a breath and start again...doesn't hurt to leave in the arch form until the mortar is thumbprint firm. That is a mistake you make only one time...my outer doorway arch fell and thereby was built twice...no worries!
Best
Dutch
Old 07-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Master Builder

I agree with Dutch. You are the newest member of the broken arch club. I'm in the club, too.

Please post pictures of the aftermath too if you have them. I always enjoy a good catastrophe. I'm with ya - someone has a signature on the site that says something like anything worth doing once is worth doing twice.....

Hang in there!!!

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by christo; 07-31-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:27 AM
Serf

Thanks for the support. I put the chiminey back up on Saturday and all is well. I should be able to start the curing fires on Sunday. I do not have any photos of the fall. Thanks again.