Old 02-12-2014, 06:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Chimney Insulation on WFO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
I'm unfamiliar with countries that have snow in the winter, so I'm unsure whether what I propose is viable, maybe freezing and thawing is no good for bricks and mortar. However, if you are short of cash, can you find enough secondhand/free bricks to make a brick chimney?
Yep, freeze/thaw = rough on masonry work. There is plenty of masonry done in that climate, but it better be done with best practice through the whole process. Outside of a major event like an earthquake or a truck driving into your work, nothing is more damaging to masonry than freeze/thaw.

If you mean build the flue out of brick, then no, it's not a good idea. Clay flue with a brick surround is the way to go if he doesn't use SS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 02-12-2014, 06:15 AM
Laborer

Quote:
I'm unfamiliar with countries that have snow in the winter, so I'm unsure whether what I propose is viable, maybe freezing and thawing is no good for bricks and mortar. However, if you are short of cash, can you find enough secondhand/free bricks to make a brick chimney?
Yea I also thought about that, can the chimney be done in normal bricks ? because 1 x fire brick in Denmark is like 10 US dollars, in stores - and not many have these laying around for sale.

But in any case, I'm going to use stainless steel for the entire chimney with no insulation. I'm making the stand big enough, so later on I can build a iron/wood skelleton around to make a "house", in that way i get more insulation in the oven aswell. And I like theese designs more - More materials is normally more expensive though. But this is a few year down the road i guess. The dome will be finished as a igloo to begin with.

Sorry for not knowing all the correct terms

Old 02-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsen View Post
Yea I also thought about that, can the chimney be done in normal bricks ?
For the veneer, yes...but they are not a good choice for the flue chase, unless there was nothing else available.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 02-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Yep, freeze/thaw = rough on masonry work. There is plenty of masonry done in that climate, but it better be done with best practice through the whole process. Outside of a major event like an earthquake or a truck driving into your work, nothing is more damaging to masonry than freeze/thaw.

If you mean build the flue out of brick, then no, it's not a good idea. Clay flue with a brick surround is the way to go if he doesn't use SS.
Thought that might be the case. I suppose "best practice" means that since you can't control the temperature you'd better make dang sure that water can't get into the pores of the mortar and bricks where it can freeze and spall everything.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Best practice" means adhering to industry standards that apply to the materials, method, and location of the project. As opposed to "code" which is the minimum requirement, generalized and often not applicable to a specific application. Wood fired ovens often fall into the the cracks of code, so best practice should always be used.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday gentlemen
Sorry we do not have clay chimney liners in Aust that I'm aware.
Could you please explain how they work, I'm at a complete loss to understand
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-12-2014, 08:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

They are terra-cotta tubes 3/4" to 1" thick, machine extruded and low fired. They are very brittle and heavy but also have very low coefficients of thermal expansion at high temperatures.

They can be ruined (cracked) by building a very hot fire very fast, as the inner surface will expand beyond the tensile strength of the material before the external surface reaches comparable temps and expansion rates, small though it is.

They are cheap compared to stainless steel, and will last for much longer periods of time with proper use (on a scale of thousands of years instead of decades).
Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
"Best practice" means adhering to industry standards that apply to the materials, method, and location of the project. As opposed to "code" which is the minimum requirement, generalized and often not applicable to a specific application. Wood fired ovens often fall into the the cracks of code, so best practice should always be used.
I know what "best practice" in general terms means. I spend half my life explaining it to people.
What I meant was, what is best practice in terms of building masonry in freezing climates?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I know what "best practice" in general terms means. I spend half my life explaining it to people.
What I meant was, what is best practice in terms of building masonry in freezing climates?
Just for starters...Don't use frozen sand, don't use water with ice in it, don't lay frozen units, don't let the mortar freeze before it cures, don't leave holes in the joints, make sure the work is properly flashed, dried in, etc, etc,etc.

Winter work is a pain in the neck..but you do what you gotta do.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 02-14-2014, 02:00 AM
Laborer

Frezzing temps is a well known factor here in Denmark, so i'm not worried that it cannot withstand the temp changes, at all. i will also protect it from above from rain and partially wind. And during winter times its most likely going to get a "coat" on for not freezing its but off

But i appreciate the replies you all came with, without you my WFO project would be a mess