Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Chimney Help (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/chimney-help-14514.html)

alexi82 10-04-2010 08:42 PM

Chimney Help

Hi Guys,

Hope this is in the right spot in the forums...

I am about ready to build the chimney in my alan scott style oven. I am VERY confused though...

How do I support the chimney at the front part of it? I can build the arch no probs, then i know the back layer of the chimney sits on the bricks that slope downwards finishing off the dome...but where do the rest go? Does it need a lintel to sit on?

It seems that there isn't much info on this anywhere...

Cheers!

Tscarborough 10-05-2010 04:53 AM

Re: Chimney Help

See my sig for how I built the chimney on my barrel vault.

alexi82 10-05-2010 05:41 AM

Thanks for that I've seen your site before. Tis a great oven.

Unfortunately it doesn't help me as I have stuck to the Alan Scott design and need to work out how to get the chimney built up from behind the arch upwards...

Tscarborough 10-05-2010 05:59 AM

I haven't seen his plans. Do you have a drawing of the area you can post?

alexi82 10-05-2010 06:08 AM

Thanks!

The best pics are on this site

Pizza Oven Construction

I've used this for a guide. If you look at points 16 through 19 it shows where the chimney is being built but still not clear on how it attaches to arch....at least not to me...

Tscarborough 10-05-2010 06:26 AM

Does your throat have that turn down like the one on your link? Regardless, he built his chimney the same way I did, i.e. it sits on top of the front arch.

alexi82 10-05-2010 06:33 AM

Thanks for your help with this

Yes it has the turn down, and the back of the chimney sits on that slope. And I get what you are sayin but practically don't know how to bridge that gap behind the arch to build the base for the
Chimney to build up on....if that makes sense

Tscarborough 10-05-2010 06:36 AM

I looked at it closer. He did NOT place it on top of the arch, so he must have used an angle across the sides (pic 16B), right behind the front arch.

fxpose 10-05-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tscarborough (Post 100208)
I looked at it closer. He did NOT place it on top of the arch, so he must have used an angle across the sides (pic 16B), right behind the front arch.

I agree. That's exactly what looks like he did.

alexi82 10-05-2010 04:00 PM

ok cool...so do you think he would have run the angle all the way across behind the arch, and then mortared those bricks resting on the angle to the arch?

do you think that in this design that the arch forces the chimeny to start too high? or would it still work sufficiently.

thanks for the help guys, this forum rocks...:)