Old 04-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Chimney Completion Photos

I don't mean to be mean but are these chimneys actually used? All the white stucco and no soot stains makes me wonder if these are vestigial rather than chimneys that are on working stoves, ovens or fireplaces. Thoughts? Perhaps they are all connected to gas fired stuff rather than wood or coal burning appliances. They are indeed beautiful, but to me I would prefer they are both workable and beautiful, not just beautiful.

Also how does one clean the ones where the top cover is part and parcel to the whole with no straight shot? Most chimneys that are any length seem to have some sort of crook deliberately built in so (I have been told) to lessen back drafts. Cleaning from the bottom isn't always a possibility due to dampers and smoke shelfs either.

Just questions from one who heats with wood. Thanks,

Wiley
Old 04-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wiley, good questions...I'm a long time woodburner myself.

Since it's hot here most of the time, many chimneys do not get used. Lots of these homes are summer homes too...not many people burning wood when it's 100 degrees outside....

There is a lot of gas heating now but I doubt many chimneys are for that, at least directly. Some may be ventilation over stoves as one shoen was from our old kitchen with a masonry hood. It is common to copy a vent design from another working chimney on the house.

And there is whitewash painting done periodically which would cover the soot.

If you look you will also see a number with black staining. I use two of the ones posted and the draw is good, but they are tall chimneys.

They really have used wood for heating and cooking for a very long time....before electricity....and I believe the chimney is probably much more important than completion for a good draw...

and frances, that could be a keeper! certainly functional!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I hope a little soot helps the inner woodburner feel better...
Attached Thumbnails
Chimney Completion Photos-imgp0871.jpg   Chimney Completion Photos-imgp0885.jpg   Chimney Completion Photos-imgp0874.jpg   Chimney Completion Photos-imgp0882.jpg   Chimney Completion Photos-imgp0872.jpg  

...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 04-15-2008, 11:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Of course Wiley you've made me look closer. A lot of chimneys do have some soot but it's hard to see.

A house will have from 2 to ?? of these and half or less are for wood. Many for the kitchen stove (seems to be the law). So the majority will not have any soot marks whatsoever.

I looked at my three...one for an active woodstove and one for our outside wood fireplace....no soot on the woodstove one and very little on the fireplace. The third is now plugged but it was over the old kitchen stove.

...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Master Builder

I just had to add this one, from the Palau GŁell in Barcelona, Spain (circa 1900) ...
... Frances, another mosaic job for you?
Attached Thumbnails
Chimney Completion Photos-chimneybarc500.jpg  
Old 05-21-2008, 01:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

WOW! That is so incredibly cool!
It's really a chimney? Hmmm, looks like I'll have to put my thinking cap on about the chimney top....
Old 05-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh no! Frances is going to put an asparagus spear on her oven! What's next???

-
Old 05-22-2008, 04:41 AM
Master Builder

another one of Gaudi's
Attached Thumbnails
Chimney Completion Photos-e-20batillo-20chimney.jpg