Old 02-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: The challenge: a WFO for under $100 AUD

Great Job!

fun to watch

Can't wait to see you cook in it!

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 03-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Serf

Here is a picture of the FIRST pizza I cooked in the oven. The first of many.

Last edited by julian; 03-11-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Serf

Dear Julian,
Firstly I have never been a member of any sites etc, so here goes, My husband has just retired & busy painting our house. But has been collecting for quite a while to do your plan for your great solution to the expensive pizza ovens. Do you have a finished photo.
thanking you, Vinetta.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Serf

Julian, you are my idol. Strong work. That oven looks like it makes a fine pie.

I'm up to the challenge. All my brick, rebar, wire mesh, sand, gravel, vermiculite, and insulating blanket were free. I got six truckloads of 100 year old pressed reds and 50 firebricks free. I think I only need to spring for the concrete and mortar I use along with another 15 firebricks. I'm hitting up my concrete contractor buddies for some free mix.

My foundation will be massive boulders below the frostline with rebar drilled into them and tied into a pad. I did buy a HF 10" saw brand new for $100 off craigslist and plan to sell it when the project is done. So not counting labor, I'm into it for $100 US that I should recoup at the end. If I play my cards right, I might break even on this oven.

I'm planning on breaking ground in 3 weeks. I'll start a new thread with pics then. Right now I have several piles of raw materials all over my lot, not much to look at.

Rob.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Journeyman

The easiest way to address the ratio being out of whack would be to extend the flue down into the oven. Simple and effective, I've seen it done on a few commercial bread ovens including this one:

STOVEMASTER - News
Old 05-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Serf

Julian, I doffs me cap to you. I have built two big brick monsters now having moved from the house that I built the 1st one in (the new owners had better be bloody using it!). If only I'd had your nouse then.
As a sub issue, I had my first firing for oven #2 on Fringe opening weekend too.