Old 03-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Carbon Steel for flue?

Ok so it sounds like the carbon steel by itself is a bad idea. But let me now ask this...what if I sprayed it with the high temp spray liner that can be purchased at an auto parts store? The kind that is used for exhaust systems or other high temp demands in vehicles? Will that solve the problem of corrosion? Will that cause it's own problems like fumes? Flaking? Or anything else? It was a recommendation that someone made to me (not from FB or the forum) so I thought I would see what everybody thinks.

Thanks!

Nate
Old 03-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Can you eat it and safely ingest it?
If the answer in no, then dont do it.

The amount of effort and time you have spent trying a work around on this you could have bought some SS flue cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Apprentice

Hey Al,

Luckily the only thing spent so far on this idea is the time it has taken me to write the questions and read the answers. No money or time has been spent on purchasing material or fabricating anything so at this point I am out nothing. I will have to see about the SS option. I checked yesterday with a supplier for single- and double-walled metal flues and I might just go that route. Anyone see any problems with going with a single-walled metal flue and then putting insulating blanket around it? Is the insulation around it even necessary if I brick it in? Thanks for your input!

Nate
Old 03-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeii Nate View Post
Hey Al,

Luckily the only thing spent so far on this idea is the time it has taken me to write the questions and read the answers.
Time better spent doing other stuff, drinking beer, playing with the kids, making love.

Its all been done before, thats why they all use SS flue.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the advice Al! Unfortunately with a wife who just gave birth two weeks ago yesterday there isn't much love-makin' going on around here currently. Oh well, I guess that gives me more time to think about an oven to keep my mind off of it.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

More time for beer then......

Old 03-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Apprentice

hey nate, i think it would be a good idea to stay away from any kind of automotive spray (even being high temp), definately not food grade, and also because it would be sprayed on the inside, you dont know if it will smell/flake/peel because it will get burnt, rather than just being sprayed onto a hot surface. Maybe just not worth the risk nate.
IMO, i think it would be a good idea to put some kind of insulation around the flue then bricking and mortaring up to the flue, you have to let the oven move with the heating & cooling cycles, plus i have a friend that mortared right up to the flue....it cracked...lots. (he also didnt know what he was doing either)

Ofcourse take this advice with a grain of salt....i havent even finished my oven yet.

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

So I have decided to go the double-barrel stainless flue route because the stainless pipe is free and should be indestructable (1/4" thick) although heavy. But Nate's flue-coating question got me to thinking and I found this:

Stove Paint - High Temperature Stove Paint

Some of the products here are designed for stove exhausts and can withstand 1000F continuously. Given that the flue is outside the cooking chamber, is there really a danger of condensation/back flow that could affect food inside the oven?

John
Old 03-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Apprentice

Hey John,

I actually saw that exact same paint at the local supply store here in my area two days ago and I asked about it. The guy made it sound like it could work but seemed a bit unsure of the application I was considering using it for. We ended up talking more about different single and double-walled metal flues and got away from the spray so I never got a definitive yes or no.

It seems like the consensus seems to be not to waist my time on this type of metal flue and to look into other options. I appreciate everybody's input and if I ever get my oven project out of the design/planning stage and into the actual build stage I will let you know what I decided.

Thanks
Nate
Old 03-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Apprentice

Nate:

It sounds like you have the beginnings of an upright smoker, or maybe even an offset smoker. Use the steel for that, and stick to clay or stainless for the pizza oven.