Old 10-30-2010, 04:28 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Building WFO on the cheap

my oven has been curing via electric skillet for a while (seems like forever), and I cannot tell which one was cooked in an indoor oven. My guess is that number 2 was a WFO.

Tom
Old 10-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Serf

I want to taste them to be sure... but of those two shots, #2 looks more like what I would expect from a WFO, although I've see plenty of electric oven pizzas that get my motor running more than either of those two photos.

If you think the two ovens are identical in their cooking character, why do you even have a WFO?

Anyway, I appreciate your input towards my original question, about whether a makeshift earth oven is worth the effort. Would anyone else like to weigh in on that question?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have an oven because I wanted to build one, and even then came into it sideways by accident. I do use it a lot because wood is free and it keeps the kitchen cool, but I also like to make 4-10 pizzas at a time.

You should build a stand out of 8x8x16 concrete blocks dry-stacked, then build your dry stacked oven on top of that. Fast and cheap, and easy to dis-assemble. Your main issue is going to be insulation, without which the system does not perform.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Serf

Blocks are cheap, and I know exactly where to get them. I might do that. Plus, they can be re-used when I someday come up with the time to make a proper brick oven.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:01 PM
Apprentice

I would pour a 1' wide trench around the outside of what will be the stand from concrete, dry stack your blocks and skincoat with quickwall from quickrete which gives the strength of a mortared joint, and cast a floor on top. So far you should be under/around $100. The thing is that this stand can be reused if you do rebuild the dome. I would then just build the entire oven out of regular bricks (not pavers) Buy a couple bags of vermiculite to pour on top and weather in. I doubt you will have more than 250 into the entire thing (you can probably get used bricks on craigslist for free) and your oven will be good for many years, and when you decide to rebuild your already 1/2 way there.
P.S. my oven cost less than $500 and I have been firing for around 5 years with no signs of wear.
Good luck
Eddie
Old 10-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Laborer

May be to late in the season for this, but what about a cob oven?
Old 11-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Serf

Thanks Eddie. What is a cob oven, roobqn?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:04 PM

cob oven

Cob = mud
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Laborer

If the sites dmun don't fully answer your questions, Kiko Denzer has a great book that covers the construction, maintenenance and use of a cob oven. Amazon.com: KIKO DENZER: Books or Google Kiko Denzer and you should find out alot.
Mother Earth news has an article regading them as well.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Journeyman

I for many years have had a really good pizza stone in the oven running at 550 F. The trick is to give it plenty of time to heat up - at least an hour. After almost 18 years, my stone broke which got me going on my build. A good stone runs about 65 bucks and will buy you time so you can do the oven correctly.

Looking back, I should have just bought and stored the materials (except for portland) and build when I was ready. I am doing the oven on a real tight budget as da boss would rather me spend time doing other house chores.

You can get fire brick at Home Depot for around $1.15 ea, and rent a saw if need be to do all the cutting you need in 1 day as a real push!. Then start building piece by piece.

In AZ, it can be a real pain in the backside to get certain materials as we do not have too many fireplaces down in the southern desert. Up in the mountains of PA, you should be able to find the materials for a fireplace fairly easy. Heck, there are more AC service contractors in the smaller towns than there are fireplace supply places in all of the Phoenix Metro Area!!!

As of right now, I am at about 350 bucks. What blew me away was the cost of the vermiculite - I needed 4 bags to date (120 bucks).

Watch for a house getting demo'd and talk with the demo contractor to scavenge brick. It is really easy to knock the mortar off each of the bricks with a hammer and chisel!

What ever you do, do not build a metal tray on the ground. The dirt is a heat sink and will suck the energy out of the floor. If you put it in the air, you will be much better off as air is not a good conductor of heat! All in the thermodynamics!

Keep your chin up! I totally know how frustrating it can be.