Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   To Bell or not to Bell? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/bell-not-bell-15497.html)

DaveW 03-05-2011 02:44 PM

To Bell or not to Bell?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All,
It seems that everyone who sees our pizza oven thinks we should put a bell in the chimney cap. My wife found one but we are unsure if we should do it. Of course it will be practically invisible once it is covered in soot and my wife is afraid it may be blasphemous.. So please let us know what you think and answer our poll,

thanks,

Dave and Tiziana

P.S. There is no bell in the sunset photo, I just thought it was pretty

Lburou 03-05-2011 05:08 PM

Re: To Bell or not to Bell?

Try it. If you don't like it, take it out. :)

You (or those you care about) are the only ones who must be happy with the decision.

brickie in oz 03-05-2011 05:33 PM

I wouldnt bother about it. :o

Les 03-05-2011 09:42 PM

I was supposed to put a bell on my Harley - 18 years and two bikes later, no problem. If it rings your bell - go for it...:)

brickie in oz 03-05-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les (Post 109115)
I was supposed to put a bell on my Harley - 18 years and two bikes later,

Was that to warn all the old dears that you were coming their way? :rolleyes: :D

Faith In Virginia 03-06-2011 04:23 AM

I would need to see a picture of your oven before I committed one way or the other. But I'm thinking Bell It. Call it your dinner bell but the soot may keep you from wanting to ringing it. If you don't like it you can always take it down.

sjmeff 03-06-2011 06:32 AM

Try it! It sounds fun and the kids will love it.

Lburou 03-06-2011 08:38 AM

I'm thinking you could stop the chimney, add an exit hole on four sides to allow exit of the gasses, then build a tower above the stop....That would minimize the accumulation of soot on the bellworks. :)

Wiley 03-06-2011 09:47 AM

I would think that with some luck one could attach a piece of metal to the clapper so that simply tightening a wire/cable to the attachment the escaping hot gasses would oscillate the clapper and ring the bell. On command, of course for if it ring continuously then one would most likely find it annoying. But a unique way of informing a group a pizza just came out of the WFO or as a call to come eat!

Wiley (whose WFO pants like an old steam locomotive)

Tscarborough 03-06-2011 10:51 AM

Definitely bell!