Old 05-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Argentinian oven chimney Help

derocher
I will agree also...question is did you attach the floor or did you just lay them in dry or with fireclay...you will not be happy without insualting that floor...your oven will never really get to and hold any good pizza temps and anything close will be lost quickly...that floor would be a huge heat sink...something brought you to this site now and I think it was this potential flaw...really necessary to figure out how to insulate that floor and then we can make sure of door opening size etc.
Best
Dutch
Old 05-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Peasant

Is there a way to put the insulating board on top of the floor bricks that I have there now, then more firebrick cut to size over the top of the insulating board maybe? I have the firebrick mortared to the fireclay/portland mix. There is no way to get below there without tearing everything down and starting over. I am trying to figure a way to get some insulation in the existing oven, and maybe use 1 1/4" firebrick over that, and salvage what I've done so far. If i could get the existing firebrick off of the floor, then pour insulating cement, then the thinner fire bricks I'd have 2 1/2" of insulation, and only lose 1 1/4", or re-use the existing firebrick that I'd remove, only losing 2 1/2", I could make up for that yet, I,m on row # 6 right now. Thanks for the help and advice, Jim
Old 05-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Master Builder

That could work...I would suggest using the Forno Bravo insulating board rather than the vermicrete...you would need the best insualtor possible...they are 2 inches in thickness and they could be cut to fit the floor and then floor bricks...
Best
Dutch
Old 05-29-2008, 06:04 AM
Peasant

I was able to pry off the existing firebrick, leaving only a few to support the dome. I will insulate either with the fb board of something that I can find locally. I would prefer to find a local insulation and get that done, and replace the floor over the new insulation. I can change my dome template to get back on track once the floor is insulated, and firebrick cut in place. How would 4" of perlite/portland mix compare with the fb board? Any other possibilities using materials from the big box stores [ home depot, menards ]? I will be putting the chimney in the front and giving up on the Argentinian chimney scheme, I have a 6" masonary flue that I will use. Thanks, Jim
Old 05-29-2008, 06:57 AM

Congratulations on your decision to insulate. You won't regret it.

Four inches of vermiculite concrete will work pretty much as well as two inches of FB board (Calcium silicate)
Old 05-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Master Builder

Ditto from me on both points...
All the best!
Dutch
Old 05-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Peasant

Thanks France's, DMun, Dutch, and all who helped. I did what you said, pryed off the existing, and I will insulate with either the fb insulation or the perlite, or vermiculite/portland mix, then go on with my project. It's always hard to back up and do things differently than you've planned, [ American term is 'Eating Crow" ] but I know after years of being a carpenter [ 50 years of carpentry, and I'll be 51 in September! ] That you can always learn by listening to others. I had looked at the Argentinean oven for weeks, then finally signed up for the FB forum, still going to build the Argentinian oven. After listening to the forum here, I can see that if I want to end up with what I had planned, I would have to change direction and follow the helpful persuasion of those who have done this, and seen the end results. Thank You To All., Jim
Old 05-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Another oven saved from disaster! Pats on backs all around!

-
Old 05-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Master Builder

Jim,

Any way you can post photos of your dome "reconstruction"? This sort of thing might be helpful for future builders to learn from.

Also, welcome to the forum. I am your neighbor to the south, just finishing my foundation slab.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Master Builder

derocher
Do post photos if at all possible...it will help others as well as to help us advise you
Best
Dutch