Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Serf

Default Re: Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by szv9n5 View Post
Another Michan build! Great to see Michigan is well represented. I am in Macomb County. You and I are at about the same point in the project. I poured my hearth pad last weekend and hope to begin the dome this weekend. I hope we beat the snow! Anyway, nice start. I will keep in touch throughput the build.
-Steve
Your ahead of me now then. Do to scheduling conflicts I couldn't get my hearth poured yet. Now set for Tuesday or Wednesday. I did get my indispensable tool made and my fiber board insulation though. I'll probably start cutting floor bricks Monday so I'll get some progress in. Good Luck with your build!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Serf

Hearth is finally poured. Of course after a summer of drought there are thunderstorms on the way tonight. Hopefully the tarp holds.
Attached Thumbnails
Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build-random-028a.jpg   Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build-random-234a.jpg   Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build-random-255a.jpg   Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build-random-259a.jpg   Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build-random-262a.jpg  

Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Master Builder

Good job on the pour. I see the guy on the tractor doing all the work though.
If that pour sets overnight and with the tarp, the rain wont hurt a thing. Looks like that concrete ripped your shirt off, i hope you are ok. getting that base done is one of the big milestones in this journey, cheers.
Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Serf

Lol. That is my cousin's boyfriend Curt with the shirt off. No one wants to see me with my shirt off. Hearth turned out great. Hope to start floor tomorrow. Terry
Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Serf

Do to grass growing too fast, rain, work and two little kids I haven't had much time for the oven this past week. Finally had some time last night and tonight to start cutting bricks. Floor is cut now. Hope to cut insulation and start on the dome tomorrow. Will have to see how it foes. But hey, at least I have a floor!
Attached Thumbnails
Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build-floor2resize.jpg  
Old 09-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice start and progressing nicely. Will be watching your build.
thak4 likes this.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 09-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Serf

Didn't have as much time as hoped for to work on my oven the last few days. Did discover that I didn't like the height of my hearth though. I thought that it was ok when I had the cement blocks stacked but once things started to go together I wanted it to be a little higher. So off to the hardware store I went and again and bought 29 8x16x4 solid cement blocks. Brought the hearth height to a perfect level for me.

I now have the floor in and a sailor coarse down. Hope to get course #2 in tomorrow before work. Hoping that things go a little faster now.
Attached Thumbnails
Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build-floor3-015re.jpg   Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build-floor3-016re.jpg   Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build-floor3-025re.jpg   Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build-floor3-036re.jpg  
Old 09-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Peasant

Great start! Looking forward to following your progress. Hope the weather holds out.

Tim
Kalamazoo
Old 09-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Serf

I have more done now, just havn't had time to upload pics yet. Started the 5th course today and hope that I can get a lot done this weekend. The weather does worry me though. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that I can get the enclosure done before it snows!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Serf

An update on my progress so far. Had to remove my first course of bricks. My mortar was too dry that first try so I had bricks coming lose when I went and started the second course. Luckily my sister-in-law came over that day and lent a hand at removing the first course of bricks, chipping away the mortar that did stick and helping me get the first two courses in. I was also able to finish my arch..though it did take a few tries to get it right and I finished the forth course. I'm hoping to get some work done on it tomorrow. Will have to see how the rain goes. Might have to borrow a tent.
Attached Thumbnails
Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build-dome-007a.jpg   Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build-4-005a.jpg   Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build-4-006b.jpg