Old 04-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood roof???

Search for industiral insulation in the Andover area. You will probably have to talk to them by phone. They are used to speaking with pro's who rebuild kilns boilers etc. The key words that you want to ask them for is ceramic fiber blanket. "Fire proof blanket" can be misinturpreted for "fire blanket" which is a throw that is placed under welding and grinding sparks in an industrial situation. Start searching and calling soon. Most industraial suppliers are not open on the weekends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gulf; 04-09-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Serf

I just got my blanket in the mail from a store out of New Jersey. I would have ordered from FB but the cost of shipping to was 3 times the price of the product.

Anyway, this is the website

Welcome to CeramicFiberOnline.com

It got to may door withing 4 business days, but you might be close enough to pick it up from the factory.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Serf

Wood roof???-finished.jpgI have finished my oven!

Now the enclosure is developing in my mind so I thought I would revisit this topic, not so much for the wood but for the use of metal studs as rafters. I have searched the FB site and the web and haven't found any specific recommendations for using metal studs for rafters. I live in RI and worry about heavy wet snow buckling a metal stud (even 2 together, making a solid beam). I plan to use 4Ē wide block for the side walls and pitch the roof using metal rafters. Iíve thought of using some stops between the rafters and some metal plates used for wooden truss fabrication. Has anyone come across instructions on how to build rafters from metal studs?

I am going to wire reclaimed slate to hat channel attached lengthwise across the rafters (no sheathing) but again, Iím worried about the load on the metal rafters.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Greg in RI
Old 07-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I don't think that there is a problem with using wood in the framing for the enclosure for a WFO. As long as there is some conscideration for the proper spacing and or insulation between the flu and the rafters. I think that someone could do a combination of the two. Wood, for all common rafters and joices, except the two sets either side of the flu. Insulate the flu, place the two sets of wood rafters and joices adjoining the flu with further spacing to allow for metal. Attach the metal studs to the wood rafters and joices separated with strips of a solid insulated barrier. I like 5/8" fire core sheet rock.
If you go with all metal, you can increase the bracing on each truss, go with 16" centers, and or increase the pitch to allow for the snow load. Increasing the pitch will most probably require adding to the height of your flu.
Many of us live in wood houses with fireplaces and even asphalt shingles . Most of us have no problems. Just remember, insulation, spacing,and spark arrestors .

Old 07-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My take on it is that if you have fire outside the oven or chimney, then you have serious issues no matter what material you frame with. I felt comfortable framing my oven house and roof with wood, although I did use metal roofing for spark resistance.