Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 06:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Russell,
I started mine in my sun room, just like last year. But, a good bit earlier. I don't have anything but the natural light coming form the windows. Waiting on warmer weather, and then the spring storms, these girls grew very tall and gangly! I guess that they were searching for a little more than just a little early morning and late afternoon sunlight. To make a long story short, mine are suffering from the shock of the "cold/hot cruel world". I will build a small hot house for next years .
We had snow last Wed. here again so plants are inside but they are growing.
The ones under plastic are peppers and only about 5 micro leaves so far. But the tomatoes are starting....

It may get to 60f today so I will take them out for some real air.

Gulf, if you want your plants to stay strong have an ossolating fan blow on them from a distance the will get stronger stems.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-image.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 05-06-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Like they say, can't control mother nature. It may be June before the snow melts in you end of the world. Like Gulf, next year I am going to build a small little green house to start my maters. I saw one on a walk the other day, used an old window supported by a couple of CMUs.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
We had snow last Wed. here again so plants are inside but they are growing.
The ones under plastic are peppers and only about 5 micro leaves so far. But the tomatoes are starting....

It may get to 60f today so I will take them out for some real air.

Gulf, if you want your plants to stay strong have an ossolating fan blow on them from a distance the will get stronger stems.
I agree, but they will also need much more light than I gave them this year. They were having to reach for it. I think that is what made them so tall and gangly. But, a combination the fan, the natural sun light, + the warmth (hot house) should do the trick .

Old 05-30-2014, 05:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well after watching all the great builds going on I finally decided kick it in the @3s and start the copper cladding of my dome. I first repaired all the render cracking with an elastomeric cement product used for chimney crowns. Then divided the dome into equal distant segments like an orange. I had to do a geometry refresher to find the true apex of the dome so the segments would be the same. I several practice bends with old heating duct work before I tried the copper. Glad I did, it took 4 trials to develop the right kind of bending and slotting to make the first course fit. I am using a 48" Malco bench brake as well as a 12" hand bender. So I finished out the day with my first 36" long copper base course. Also my San Maranzo tomatoes have blossoms but my guess there cousins with Gulf and Stonecutter already have tomatoes on the vine
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-91-layout-shingles-530.14.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-91a-trial-fit-5.30.14.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-91b-starter-course-copper-5.30.14.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-dscn4556.jpg  

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh cool! looking forward to watching this one!

Old 05-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I can not wait to see this miracle in the making.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Go Russell, you know chopper as it ages ends with a greenish patina to it.

But that will look great just simply bewdiful

Old 05-31-2014, 07:23 AM
Apprentice

Where did you get your tomato plant for san maranzo tomatoes?

My Build -

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here
Old 05-31-2014, 07:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mine are from seed this is third generation but I have seen them at Lowes (Bonnie) and also Lambert's garden. Both heirloom and indeterminate (meaning you can harvest the seeds from year to year and they are always the same).

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-31-2014, 03:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russell,
I am looking forward to the copper cladding. I have a 10' break for aluminum, and I get to play on my brother's metal roofing break from time to time. So, I am watching with great interest.

Our growing season is well under way. It is already hot down here, so the maters have really taken off. I have a few that should ripen in the next couple of weeks. I have several plants set out in various ways. Here are two that I am training to grow inside concrete reinforcement wire. Hopefully, without having to tie them up .

Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-maters2024a-002.jpg

Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-maters2024a-001.jpg

Last edited by Gulf; 05-31-2014 at 03:43 PM.