Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 04:42 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Was doing a little traveling to Cusco Peru (at 11,000 feet elevation) and went to a restaurant where most of the food was prepared in a woodfired oven. Must be a universal language .
You certainly get around!
So what was the specialty on the menu? And what the heck were you doing in Peru? Really envious of your adventures! The Americas have a really long history of inhabitation going way way back! It would be really interesting to search out ruins from these ancient Indian civilizations! It is a real disgrace how our country dealt with the remaining tribes at the turn of the century--like Wounded Knee! Sickening! I guess the same way they deal with anyone who does not fit the Anglo European mold! But that is getting way off topic!
Old 02-22-2014, 06:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mikku,

We try and hit any UNESCO heritage sites every time we travel. So Machu Picchu and Cusco were a couple we knocked off our bucket list. The restaurant was known for Cuy or roasted guinea pig. Although it is suppose to "taste like chicken" we were not that native yet.

Dave,

I am going to solder my lower joints, picked up about 8lbs of 50/50 tin/lead autobody solder the other day and have an old vintage roofing solder iron to play with. We will see. Weather still winter here so a couple more months to go.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 02-22-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

[QUOTE=UtahBeehiver;
Dave,

I am going to solder my lower joints, picked up about 8lbs of 50/50 tin/lead autobody solder the other day and have an old vintage roofing solder iron to play with. We will see. Weather still winter hear so a couple more months to go.[/QUOTE]

Spot welding would be 20x faster with no fluxing or ugly solder joints, but wouldn't look "old school"
Old 02-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Spot welding would be 20x faster with no fluxing or ugly solder joints, but wouldn't look "old school"
Is spot welding copper even possible? Who would want what looks like cigarette burns fouling the appearance of a great oven? With a little practice, copper can easily be soldered to make a good weatherproof joint. That is the point of this exercise in the first place. It only involves areas where the dome will meet the counter areas, once past this--only joints made with a brake or hand tools.
As you get higher on the dome--I think that the brake will be a problem and you have to rely only on hand tools to do the work.

This is a real challenging project. Special pieces around the dome to oven entrance --all very time consuming. For a sheet metal guy with a lifetime of experience...this would be a real challenge!

Good luck on your build, I'm sure it will come out fantasticly!
Old 02-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikku View Post
Is spot welding copper even possible? !
Apparently the high thermal conductivity of copper is a problem. You need special electrodes on the spot welder. Probably not worth the effort.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Weather is starting to kind of break here in Utah. Although it is still a little unsettled to work on the oven's exterior I am starting my San Marzano seeds that I harvested from last year's crop. Gulf is ahead of the game and his tomatoes are already sprouted. I do have more seeds than I can use so if anyone want some heirloom San Marzano seeds PM me and I will send you some.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-07-2014, 07:17 AM
Apprentice

Seeds... me me me... please! Then if they don't produce I can blame you!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Annie,

PM your address and I will pop some in the snail mail. Yeah, my wife blames me to....story of my life.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Apprentice

The accolades are reserved for you too!
Old 03-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russell,
I'm very close to the 95% germination rate. That is way better than last year. From what I remember I processed the seeds of last season just like you. You will probably have better success too. Even if I have to transfer this next generation to pots, I plan on waiting until the ground is good and warm before I plant them. In a week or two, I plan on starting a few more seeds, for a later crop. I can hardly wait to see how ya'lls Southern Cousins produce this year .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
Seeds... me me me... please! Then if they don't produce I can blame you!

EDIT: I'm kind of sorry that I hung that "Blame Russell" handle on you..................................NOT!

Last edited by Gulf; 03-07-2014 at 06:22 PM.