Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Gulf,
My maters are struggling a little. Wife says I don't talk to them enough saying how pretty they are. Actually tried to harden a little too soon and stunted them a little.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Made some headway on the Pcrete. Just as I am getting the hang of forming Pcrete I am getting close to being done.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-84-pcrete-4.29.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-84a-pcrete-4.29.jpg  
Gulf likes this.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Made some headway on the Pcrete. Just as I am getting the hang of forming Pcrete I am getting close to being done.
That's because the most of the vertical is done! Every layer now is going more horizontal . It gets a "helluvalot" easier from here. Great job!

Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thx, Not as smooth as yours but next is a more solid rendered layer that can handle the ss shingle screws. Never ending project.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Just as I am getting the hang of forming Pcrete I am getting close to being done.
Think how much easier it will be next time.... wait never mind - don't think of that.

My road to pizza is documented here:

Old 04-30-2013, 01:46 AM
Master Builder

Lookin great--it's a keeper!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:35 AM
Apprentice

that build is looking great.

Have you had much shrinkage on the prericrete? What was the final thickness you went for?

I am having trouble finding the ceramic blankets and I am thinking about just using vermiculite, which is readily available around here.

Oh, how much will you end up using?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks guys,

Fabby, I have not seen any shrinkage as of yet, using a 5:1 mix because I already have CF underneath and I want a more solid base to render to since I am cladding my dome with copper and screwing the shingle to the dome. Average thickness is 2-3", you may have to double your vcrete thickness to get an equivalent insulation value of a CF blanket. If the mamma does not get her way with the dome, you could just pour the vermiculite (w/o portland) right over your dome in the enclosure. I am into my 3rd 4 cu ft bag, bought 4 but don't think I will need it. Running about 9-10 bucks a bag at a concrete block supplier.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-01-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Finished percrete today, going to let it set for a week or so to dry out before I render. All said and done the curved trowel was the key tool to keeping the shape. Ended up using 3.5 - 4 cu ft bags roughly 2-3" thick 5:1 ratio. Used a beer bottle as a blockout for the vent in the apex of the dome.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-85-pearlcrete-done-5.3.13.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-85a-vent-dome-5.3.13.jpg  
Gulf likes this.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-03-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Glad to see you drank the beer first