Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 07:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Not my idea, stole from Niel of Australia. It is 316 SS but I am sure 304 would work as well. It is a piece of cut off surplus so not sure on gauge but it is about an 1/8" (10 gauge) thick. You can buy commercially but I can say I made it myself. Hang in there on your build, been following it closely. Pretty soon you will be making pizzas for the 9 in your tribe.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thx Mikku,

I was in Tokyo last year but not during Cherry blossom season. Need to get back there again. I was very impressed by your country.

Thanks for your input on perlcrete. I will keep the softball idea in the gray matter. I was planning on using a 5:1 ratio so it is in sync with your thoughts.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Typical April weather, rain and cold so doing some more secondary WFO work. Laid out the door for the oven, will use leftover 1.5" CF blanket as insulation sandwiched and enclosed in SS. Building door from a 316 medical cabinet door that was given to me. Time to get the plasma cutter out.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-82-ss-door-4.19.13.jpg  

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Started Pcrete dome layer today, suppose to have a sunny weekend. Used a 5:1 ratio, a little learning curve to get the right water ratio, pressure to apply, etc. Best thing was the curved trowel that I made at the suggestion on Gulf and Bookemdanno. Just did one row and will let sit for a while so I don't collapse layer when installing next one. Template gives me a gauge for keeping the right shape and thickness but not using it to screed.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-83-start-pcrete-4.26.13.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-83a-dry-mix-5-1-ratio   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-83b-curved-trowel-4.26.13.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-83d-end-pcrete-figured-out.jpg  

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Apprentice

Lookin' good Utah!!!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Master Builder

Glad to see you have the weather with you and can start. Looking at the texture of your pericrete, to me it looks a bit dry. I add enough water just to the point when you squeeze it, no water comes out. You should be able to form it into a ball by squeezing and it should retain its shape. Right now, it probably feels really crumbly to you. A sample I made and put into a plastic bag later was also crumbly when the cement set, but the wetter stuff when squeezed into a ball formed a hard ball when set.

That is just my observation on a "one-time build", others may have some other ideas. Your oven will take on a whole new appearance with this newest covering!
Old 04-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the info, will try your idea. One batch, seems a little crumbly the other side had a little more water and seems to set better. I'm going to let sit overnight and see what happens.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice start, i like the shaping tool.

i plan on visiting sometime soon I should be out to SLC sometime early summer and will give you a heads up should it fit into your schedule.

Was hoping for some spring skiing but went to Palm Springs to get some sun instead.

Chip
Old 04-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Lookin' good Utah!!!
Double what he said .

And the "maters" are coming along great!!

Last edited by Gulf; 04-26-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Look forward to hooking up.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log