Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

That's purdy...I've worked a bit of copper over the years, I understand the amount of work that went into that. Nice.

One of my original plans was to do a copper dome, but not an overlapping shingle-style like you've done. More like a smooth copper dome. I was going to make a couple of concave and convex surfaces with the same shape as the copper sphere, form several sections, hem the edges, then flat-solder them together. In some ways it'd look "shingle style" like yours, but with soldered seams, but mine would have less texture.

But I decided to go with a stone igloo instead.

Keep the copper scrap. Now it's time for you to fabricate a copper still. lol

My Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russell,
I can't say more than my usual, WOW!
But, I will try...................How about exquisite, immaculate, acceptional, artistic, one of a kind, etc, etc, and so forth .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 10-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Chimney looks cool Russ, great job on all the bends too! One question though...any reason why you didn't flash the top of the arch cladding?

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 10-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can do what you want of course, but if it was me, I'd run a bead of silicon over that top seam to keep the water and snow melt out.
25 lbs of scrap copper?! I'm surprised you have cash left for beer! Wait, maybe it's Schlitz or something....

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 10-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
You can do what you want of course, but if it was me, I'd run a bead of silicon over that top seam to keep the water and snow melt out.
25 lbs of scrap copper?! I'm surprised you have cash left for beer! Wait, maybe it's Schlitz or something....
Schlitz "quinine" (what we called it then) was a dmn good beer in the early 60's. It fell off in the late 60's and early 70's. It started taisting a little skunky. Sort of like Coronas do today. We did not know then about adding lime to counter the skunk taiste, so a lot of us switched to Budweiser "skullhead" (is what we called it in those days) .

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 10-30-2014, 05:28 AM
Journeyman

I drink Colt 45. Here in the Philippines its still made, a strong beer that tastes really good.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You aren't suppose to drink that stuff, only use it to boil brats.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 10-30-2014, 01:11 PM
Journeyman

A lot of people still think the beer was named after a .45 caliber hand gun made by Colt firearms.

Introducing #45 of the Baltimore Colts! Jerry Hill...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_H...rican_football)

Last edited by Lancer; 10-30-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
A lot of people still think the beer was named after a .45 caliber hand gun made by Colt firearms.

Introducing #45 of the Baltimore Colts! Jerry Hill...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_H...rican_football)
Of course they would have to say it wasn't named after the firearm, lest they open themselves up to a lawsuit for trademark infringement. But I'm sure they didn't mind everyone associating the beer with the firearm.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:12 PM
Journeyman

Beer and pizza, now there's a great concept. If these things ever go from this world then civilization itself will go with them.

Yup deejayoh, that's likely a fact. Still, the lawyers quibble aside, cool name. Beats the heck out of saying, "Hey my friend, pass me a cold Jerry Hill."