Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Stonecutter,

I really admire your masonary stone skill, that dry stack base of yours is a prime example of high quality skill. I hope I don't muck up the copper shingles too much at $4.00 a lb and I am using 16 oz copper so each shingle is cost $4.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks, I wish I could get more time on the project so I can start using it. I think if I was doing a copper finish like yours I would get some aluminum coil and practice with that until I worked out all the nuances of cutting,bending and fitting...I'm sure you will have to tweek several pieces as you go...just a thought.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Not a bad idea on practice.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

or thin gauge galvanized sheet stock would work too, might be cheaper than aluminum..you get the idea. Whatever you get, maybe look for something that will behave like your cooper....that's why I'm thinking thin gauge if you go with Galv metal..aluminum coil will be very close.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

April showers bring May flowers hold true here. Raining cats and dogs this morning, but the sun came out this afternoon. While it was raining I made my perlcrete template/gage for my dome. Have not decided whether to have a fixed pivot point like Gulf's build or free floating just to make sure everything stays fairly consistent and round. My old eyes have a way of fooling me.

Have not wack-a-mole my foil (to put vent holes in CF) on the dome yet but is is coming.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-perlcrete-template-4.5.13.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-whack-mole.jpg  

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looking great Russell,

Just an idea on what you have already done. (My situation was different, since I hat the "roof-over" to anchor to.) If you could form a perfect circle at the bottom of your hearth, maybe 1" thick, and pour it in concrete. Then drill a shallow hole TDC at the apex of your dome: You would have the means of keeping your vcrete true to form.

I don't think that you would have to totally destroy your foil. A simple ice pick placing holes on roughly 4" centers should do the job. But of course, most people on this site know that (my obnoxious belief) is a dome vent is the answer to relieving any moisture or pressures related to firing the oven .
cobblerdave likes this.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is not that difficult to get a perfect form just doing it free form. Just look at the profile with your eye and tap the vermicrete with the flat of a trowel.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Although I believe a visual perfect form can be achieved by just "eyeballing it" you are doing something quite different with the metal skin. As in building anything a nice solid square foundation is much easier to build a house on and a nice uniform shape will be much easier to put the metal shingles on. I would elect for some type of fixed axis at the top it should not be hard to build something from a few 2x4's that will give you what you need.

Chip
Gulf likes this.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Didn't the build that you are modeling after use some sort of fiberglass or similar shell for attaching the copper? Seems like you will want a more substantial substrate than vermicrete to attach your copper. Lath and mortar seem like a minimum. Maybe you already thought of this and I should just read back a few posts

Old 04-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh, and one more thought

Your foil is wrapping 1) a cured oven that is 2) covered by dry CF blanket. You are going to cover that with 3) wet vermicrete.

Seems to me that putting holes in the foil will do more to let water into the dome than it will be a means of letting it escape. my $0.02. Take it fwiw.