Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 12:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

some builders use foil. i tried it once, wish I hadn't and will never use it again. do a search on the forum on foil.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'll have to see what happens. I removed the foil on the first layer were the heat will be the greatest.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
I'll have to see what happens. I removed the foil on the first layer were the heat will be the greatest.
I did not use foil on my oven. I was shied away from that early in my planning. I have read on this forum where it would entrap moisture and or degrade in time due to a reaction with the masonry.
A vent at the apex (even if it is only used for the curing process) would help during the curing process and/or if it degrades over time.

Just sayin'

Old 03-31-2013, 06:55 PM
Serf

probably a complete newbie question, but what holds on the CF? How is it attached to your dome (appears to be wire, all the way around the front. Is that temporary, until you put the next coat over the CF?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The foil will trap moisture under it and make it really difficult to remove. As you have already put it on I suggest you get a piece of wood and hammer in a few nails in the end of it so they protrude a little, then slap the thing silly so there are lots and lots of holes that moisture can find its way through.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

David,

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to look really hard at your suggestion and the moisture issue merits a lot of consideration. It was so much less painful to not work with CF that was foil encapsulated.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 04-01-2013 at 07:16 AM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 04-01-2013, 06:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used baling wire to hold the CF down. I drilled in Tapcons at strategic points to fasten the wire to. I would run the wire long so I could undo and adjust each blanket position as I move around. Take note on what the forum guys are talking about on the foil and moisture. You have the 3M version of this product. very easy to take the utility knife out to remove the foil covering. It is just a @#$ to work with with open fibers, use the appropriate safety gear.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-01-2013, 06:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I anxiously await the copper shingles you are doing...to see your fabrication/installation methods. I went to trade school for HVAC, but primarily we were tin knockers. We did some pretty fun side projects, including pontoons for a river boat race.
I enjoyed it, but never got into it once I got out of school...went right into heavy construction/equipment operating, then on to masonry.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 AM
Master Builder

Russell

I would take the safe and sage advice and lose the foil. Your oven is such a gem, why risk a problem? That foil should come off easy and you can sleep without worry.

Tracy

Old 04-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tex,

Congrats on the first pizza. I am sure you will figure out your tools soon. Actually it is fairly easy to remove the outer foil but these CF blankets were foil encapsulate so a have another inside foil layer. I am leaning towards the midevil spiked weapon the David is suggesting.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log