Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Very nice. I'm sure you can't wait for spring thaw! I've been lucky enough to fire the oven every weekend for the past few weeks. Pizza last night, and I was going to try some baguette this morning but I didn't get going early enough - so it will be slow-cooked short ribs in a dutch oven this afternoon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Mother nature fooled me again, it snowed last night so weekend plans to work on oven down the drain. A little peaved at Mr. Groundhog. All is not lost, planted some San Marzano seedlings and worked on a rocker cutter made of scrap 316 SS plate. I am copying Niel the Aussies design. I have an old rough cut piece of oak I will rework for the handle.
Can hardly wait to get some "maters" started. Our growing season normally starts a little earlier than a lot of the US. I say normally but, we have 3 below freezing or near freezing nights forecast. A lot of people down here have already transferred tomato seedlings to the ground. They will have to be covered to survive. A lot of the fruit trees are in bloom. It will not be a good year for them.

I saw Neil's cutter. I've wanted one ever since. This weekend, I have been working on a young friend and coworker's kitchen counters. It is in a young couple's fix-er-upper starter home. They will have a very nice place to raise a family. My young friend has a plasma cutter and is a darn good welder. Our agreement (for payment) was for "labor" on some accessories for the MQ. You've just added one more accessory to the bill .

Also, They had eight oak trees cut down, that they felt were to close to the house. I'm getting all of the limb wood from those trees. I may have lost a weekend working on the oven, but I almost feel like I am taking advantage of my young coworker .................almost

Last edited by Gulf; 03-23-2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-24-2013, 07:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good score on the oak. The scrap SS steel for my cutter was a little thick, abt an 1/8" but I was able to taper edge to a nice edge. But free is free. My wife asked why I need so many different types of pizza cutters/tools. First, I wanted to make one of my own, second, they are kind of like her shoes and purses..........

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Laborer

Snow got me this week and weekend too! I'm out of town for work first week of April, then on vacation mid-april. Plans to finish before May are looking impossible now. Good luck, Russell

"If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else." --Yogi Berra
Old 03-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Glad you are still in the mix. Send pics as you complete out.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Master Builder

You guys should move to california, its 74 right now, the birds are chirping and all is well........
Old 03-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was able to work on the oven today....finally mother nature took pity on me. Took off all the blue tarps and did an inspection. Other than the polished concrete counter freezing damage everything is where I left off.

I added my first layer of ceramic fiber on the dome. I had found a surplus roll of 4'x25'x 1.5" Firewrap XL which is Superwool with a ripstop foil cover in one of my junking expeditions. Started to lay with foil on but ended up cutting it off. But the second layer I think I will approach it differently and install with foil and maybe a cleaner and less itching process. After is 3-4" of 5:1 V-crete, 1/2" of stucco then the copper shingles like Larry of Chicago did. Using 5:1 and V-crete and stucco as support base since I am fastening copper shingles with SS screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-80-1st-layer-cf-3.29.13.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-80a-1st-layer-cf-3.29.13.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-larrys-copper-dome.jpg  

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You must be chomping to get that stucco on there. Looking forward to seeing those shingles too. I am hoping to get some time on my build this weekend..it's not looking good.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-31-2013, 07:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Able to 95% of the second layer of CF installed. With a little patience and creative cutting, I was able to install with foil covering intact. Next is prepping for V-crete installations.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-81-2nd-layer-cf-3.30.13.jpg  

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-31-2013, 08:46 AM
Master Builder

I like the foil part, so you insulation wont suck up the water from the vcrete, but ive heard foil is a bad idea?