Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Thank for the info Guys,

I'm done with the pity party on my end. I think DJ is right, it is a combo of freezing/thawing cycles here in Utah, glass/concrete compability issues, and new concrete. I am going to do a slurry fill when the weather permits and see where it takes me. If I am not satisfied with the results or durability, I may clad the surface with copper like Larry of Chicago did with his build. I still am adding 3" of CF insulation with 3" of V-crete over the CF, that will reduce the area needing coverage by quite a bit. weather is breaking I think, we are a balmy 38 F today. Thanks for everyone's feedback. I am looking forward to seeing what the WFO class of 2013 comes up with!!!!

PS DVM,

Your weather in OC is not near as harsh and Utah or in Les's case Nevada so I think you have nothing to worry about.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-copper-ledge.jpg  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
PS DVM,

Your weather in OC is not near as harsh and Utah or in Les's case Nevada so I think you have nothing to worry about.
I think we can safely say, by comparison, we don't have weather in So Cal. I wonder if some of this "siliceous gel" adhered to the hem of my jeans and burned the #$%?! out of my skin.

My road to pizza is documented here:

Old 02-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is definitely harsh. You need to first, clean if off thoroughly of all loose material (tap it all over with a hammer to check for hollowness). Then you will probably have to give up on the idea of that kind of glass embedment. A skim coat of a polymer modified repair mortar (tintable) is probably your best bet. In addition, I would use a bonding agent painted on before application of the skim coat. Make sure it is a bonding agent designed to be able to be painted on and pay close attention to the directions for when the skim coat is to be applied.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tscar,
Thanks for the tips will head to the concrete specialty supplier in the next little bit. Would an epoxy base repair concrete be worth looking at?

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I don't think so.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The red robins are flying around the yard so Spring is close. Time to uncover the oven, getting ready for the 2013 building season. Pickup up 16 cubic feet of perlite yesterday along with some portland. Also ordered online a pack of heirloom San Marzano tomato seeds, could not find locally. Shish, 100 seeds and only have room for 6 plants!! Neighbors are asking about when the oven is going to be fired up, think they are hungry for pizza

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Serf

Be happy to come by soon and take some seeds off your hands for a fair price. I'm there every two weeks on average!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Master Builder

Good news. I cant wait to see some pictures once your oven is fired up.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

CNE

I give them to ya, I just don't need 100 plants. Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you some when they come.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mother nature fooled me again, it snowed last night so weekend plans to work on oven down the drain. A little peaved at Mr. Groundhog. All is not lost, planted some San Marzano seedlings and worked on a rocker cutter made of scrap 316 SS plate. I am copying Niel the Aussies design. I have an old rough cut piece of oak I will rework for the handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-abc_groundhog_day_120202_wa.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-78-san-marzono-seeds-3.23.13.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-78a-san-marzono-3.23.13.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-78b-cutter-3.23.13.jpg  

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log