Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Able to get a quick peek on how the oven survived the Utah winters. Still have a foot of snow on the lawn but the concrete counters are clear. Much to my dismay, the winter took it's toll, there is some freezing spalling on the counters. Now I need to rethink some type of covering over the WFO. Ugghh.
That does suck. We are limited in what we can do in this environment. I had a friend across town that poured his counters. He assured me all would be good. Same thing happened within one year. I went with porcelain and still had a tile crack. Mother nature can be brutal...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russ -
did you get sealant on the counters before the winter? Wondering if the water got through that as well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah Guys a bummer,

The only additive I used in the counter pour was Super P, a plasticizer. The bug holes were filled with a Quikcrete acrylic bonding agent, portland and colorant. After I polished I put on three or four coats of a food safe lithium counter sealer maked specifically for outdoor counters (SURE!). Gulf, I am of the same opinion of having the igloo visible, especially since I spent all that moola of copper sheets for the dome cladding. I'll figure something else minimize the freezing and water issue, bottom line I can't control mother nature. Thanks guys.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Yeah Guys a bummer,

The only additive I used in the counter pour was Super P, a plasticizer. The bug holes were filled with a Quikcrete acrylic bonding agent, portland and colorant. After I polished I put on three or four coats of a food safe lithium counter sealer maked specifically for outdoor counters (SURE!). Gulf, I am of the same opinion of having the igloo visible, especially since I spent all that moola of copper sheets for the dome cladding. I'll figure something else minimize the freezing and water issue, bottom line I can't control mother nature. Thanks guys.
Russell,
You would have thought that the waterproofing was covered . There may be no specs for the temps you guys endure. My oven and the landing is covered. I guess that I will have to cover any and all counters in the future outdoor kitchen.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Master Builder

Another thought, you could use the copper sheets on the roof of a real nice enclosure. Something like you saw on temples over here! A lot of times, copper is used as an accent on perimeters with the main being tile. The tile comes in modules that give a specific width of a finished roof--The copper allows for non-modular builds! It is also a very attractive mix of materials!

Even with a very difficult clad complete on the oven dome, you will face the same spalding problem on the counter unless it is all covered! Maybe you can tackle alot of future problems with following that course? Has anyone heard from Chicago about any spalding problems? Mortar and stone are also subject to freeze thaw cycle!

An enclosure would allow you to enjoy your hobby year around!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Apprentice

I can't imagine that water penetrated 4 layers of lithium sealer. I did a quick "Dr. Google" search on glass aggregate in concrete mixes and now I am feeling less chipper about the 50 square feet of glass chipped counters in my back yard.
Waste Glass as Coarse Aggregate for Concrete

My road to pizza is documented here:

Old 02-18-2013, 03:07 AM
Master Builder

Maybe didn't!
Possibly came from below!
Same results
Think it is called "wicking"?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Laborer

Oh dear! All that work and now this. Maybe I should send you some flowers.

~Aaron
Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Interesting. I think DVM is on the right track. See this too: When Concrete Meets Glass
Unlike water and oil, glass and concrete do mix and can marry well under the right circumstances. On the other hand, the union may not remain solvent if the chemistry isn’t there to deter the main reason this coupling would meet its demise: alkali-silica reaction (ASR).

It’s a well-documented fact that combining glass aggregate with portland cement may trigger ASR. What happens is the silica in the glass reacts with calcium hydroxide (a powerful alkali with a pH of 12) in the portland cement and forms a siliceous gel.

This gel within the cement paste absorbs water and swells. If the swelling is sufficient, the pressure can cause microcracking, expansion and ultimately the deterioration of the surrounding concrete. Sometimes, this happens early on. Other times it can take years for the problem to surface.

The amount of damage inflicted by ASR on concrete depends upon the volume, the piece or particle size, and even the color of the glass.

According to a report issued by the Clean Washington Center (CWC), increasing the surface-area-to-volume ratio of glass (in other words, using smaller shards) will reduce the effects of the reaction. Using smaller pieces of glass tends to speed up ASR, which gives the gel time to swell before the concrete hardens, limiting potential damage. Powdered glass will be consumed by the process to the degree that it causes no ASR at all.
It sounds like this is all a bit more complex than any of us probably imagined as amateurs. I would guess some combination of freezing temps, glass + concrete, and relatively new pour all contributed.

If this is the problem you have, then the good news is that you may not need to cover your oven area. The bad news is that there may be a fundamental issue with the counters.

I'm feeling like I may have dodged a bullet by not adding glass to my pour. And the only reason I didn't was because I was tired of all the work!

Last edited by deejayoh; 02-18-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Journeyman

Interesting post Denis - I haven't seen any problem so far - I do keep it covered so far with a tarp and this winter the lowest temp so far was about -4C but it can get to -10 to -15 some years - so I will think anout a winter cover at least for the future. I have left the test slab I did exposed to the weather and it is fine also.
Sorry russell to see that after all the trouble