Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Mikku,

Thanks for the kind compliments. My work on the outside of my oven is at a standstill since I have about 2 feet of snow in my yard. I took many pictures of the copper details on the temples while in Japan to give me ideas on doing my dome. I am planning of placing 3" of ceramic fiber insulation with 2" of vcrete covered with 1/2"-1" stucco then the copper cladding. I have bought all the copper sheets and just waiting for the weather to break. I am will be using stainless steel screws to fasten the singles down, they are suppose to be non reactive with copper. I will be watching your build with interest too.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Master Builder

A very, very long time ago, I saw an article in "fine homebuilding" about someone making their own copper shingles. It interested me then-but have not had a subscription to that magazine for ages. It was not for a standing seam application but an interlocking style. For your application, some real short sheetmetal brake (with thin jaws) would work very well. But you need to create
180 deg bends-all edges, bottom folded under, top folder over, right or left--same as top to bottom depending how you are making your run.. I think? Maybe the same "trapezium dome" pattern could be used or modified to create your shingles? Just a thought- but should be beautiful once completed!

The sheetmetal guys here have specialty hand tools for making jobsite bends- but the jaw ranges in width from 30mm upward. (all hand forged). You could do a longer bend in sections--slowly. But some type of a brake, even hand built would really save time. Important point is a jaw that can rotate past 90 to 135 deg or more, then an ability to take it out and finish the bend to go to 180 minus!

Maybe you had some other thoughts? Would be interested in how you approach this challenge!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am copying Larry's, from Chicago, copper pattern. The shingles will be hand made diamond shaped with interlocking seams, two up and two down bends. I have a access to a 48" brake and I also have a 12" hand brake and small seamers so I think I have most tools to complete, will see. I can always tell the SWMBO that I need to buy another tool for the WFO build. She has been really good to let me build up my man cave with tools I might not otherwise have. What is the saying "who ever dies with the most tools win....." Bad part is she gets a equivalent amount to use at the mall
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-copper-dome.jpg  

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Master Builder

Could you give link to copper roof build guy?

The photo shows a real important detail, the base flashing!
Once you get your insulation in place, maybe very similar situation.
I am sure you will have special cases where the copper meets to decorative arch that must be addressed. It looks like a difficult challenge in getting weatherproof joints!

Will you have to make solder joints for your chimney penetration/flashing detail?

The finished product should look just great --from your previous work, you surely are up to the challenge!

Have you ever thought about an exterior structure to enclose your outdoor spaces, at least protection from rain or snow elements? If you had one now, you could be "literally" "TINKERING" your time away--on your oven!

keep building!
Old 02-17-2013, 03:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mikku,

Sorry for the delayed response, missed it for some reason.

Here a the link to Larry's copper dome build.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...oof-18375.html (Pompei with GFRC Shell and Metal Roof)

I have been looking at some type of overhead cover but not there yet.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Able to get a quick peek on how the oven survived the Utah winters. Still have a foot of snow on the lawn but the concrete counters are clear. Much to my dismay, the winter took it's toll, there is some freezing spalling on the counters. Now I need to rethink some type of covering over the WFO. Ugghh.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-77-winter-damage-2.17.13.jpg  

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow! Sorry to see that, it is really quite crazy. I guess I am probably quite lucky not to have the extremes of temperature you've got there in Utah. But I'd take the powder as a compromise...

Old 02-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Master Builder

That is an entire issue on its own. Judging from your skills, anything is possible...you have to choose something that will reflect your personality and fit into your surroundings.

I made the decision to go igloo and as simple as possible to get it operational.
I believe these WFO's must be protected from the elements--so my creative juices can be spent on the enclosure.. Another hurdle to cross in the future!

From my short amount of time playing with the render, I think that you will be able to fasten your copper to the render coat using plastic inserts and screws--easy enough... But the shell the architect in Chicago uses probably isolates the copper from the cement...maybe a corrosive agent.

Sorry to hear about your counters--they were sure looking great!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russell,
I hate to see that damage to your counters. Did you use any fortifiers during, and sealants after your pour? If so what brands? Like DJ, I am glad that I am not subjected to the extremes of your weather. But, I am all about any covering that doesn't take away the profile of an igloo. I hope you come up with a fix for that pretty counter.

Last edited by Gulf; 02-17-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Master Builder

What a bummer man, it seems like the glass and cement bonding has failed.