Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Russell,

I appreciate your willingness to revisit the past -- concerning your build... I know your thread spurred on quite a discussion about the stability of the outer arches and if that section (entry/smoke chamber) should be built on CalSil board or Insulated Fire Brick or directly on the concrete. I can't tell for sure from the pictures, but it appears you ended up building directly up from the concrete hearth. Is that correct? Would you be willing to elaborate on why you did what you did? Would you do it another way now that you have been through it? Thanks for your thoughts. Carl
Old 07-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Serf

so for a corner 42" build can I use the same pad size as per the manual? we are landscaping and I want to get the pad poured with some other concrete work we are doing. You still recommend a 5 1/2 inch pad yes?
Old 07-14-2014, 07:00 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
felix
Sorry for the delay. I am out of the US right now. But quick answer everything sits on the foamglas/ca si board except a small 1" firebrick veneer on the front and side of the vent area.
I thought you had been pretty quiet! When you get back if you would have a moment to direct me to a photo that would show this, it would be great.

Happy travels!
Old 07-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Felix,

First pic show oven floor/chimney/vent on FoamGlas and CaSi. Second pic. show 1" fire brick veneer in front. Look lower right corner. I did have to cut back the insulation the depth of the veneer. Will get in my files tonight on pad dimension.
Thanks for illustrating exactly what I was wondering about. There was a lengthy discussion early during your build about building the vent area on the insulating layer or not.

I assume you have been satisfied with the course of action taken?

Again, this was much appreciated!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Serf

perfect! thanks.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:27 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Salt Lake Area builders, I was at Restore on 500 W 1300 S today 7/25/14. They have a pallet of insulating fire brick plus two bags of refractory mortar. They want $2 each for the insulating brick not sure what they want for the mortar. I was going to buy the whole lot but my man cave cannot handle anymore stuff. The IFB is a great option for floor insulation vs CaSi or V or Pcrete. If it works for you act quickly though. This is over half off what you could get insulating bricks for. Note: IFB are not suitable for the dome, only under the floor fire brick.
If I wasn't going out of town tomorrow I'd go pick it up tomorrow but oh well.

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:26 PM
Serf

Did anyone here pick those up? How many do I need?
Old 07-28-2014, 11:15 PM
Apprentice

I havent heard that anyone has but you can go and check it out. It is right off 1300 south and the freeway. It just depends on how large you want your ovento be. I had about 8 boxes and used all of them. I would suggest getting more than you think you need just in case you need extra.

My Build -

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here
Old 07-29-2014, 07:33 AM
Serf

so how many in a box? If there are not enough can I buy the same locally?
Old 08-17-2014, 06:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

will read too 9..... f I obtained one that reads too 1200c covers all possibilities perfect for my needs