Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Russell,

I have read through Aegis' thread a few times and thought about the idea but hadn't heard of anything out this direction so I hadn't really considered it too much. But now that I see you with it I will check it out up here and if nothing else, have someone pick some up the next time they come through up to Idaho.

Thanks for the input.

Nate
Old 06-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nate,

FYI, I did send you some pics of my early stages of my build to you gmail account. Let me know if you got them if not I will resend.

Russell
Old 06-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tracy,

Used you feedback with the rubber mallet and it helped alot with alignment and mortar gap mimimizing. Yes I thought I cut the whole course and dry fit and everthing look good until I started mortaring. So I am going to revise my thought process about cutting the whole course at once. This is why I think the forum is so great with all the help I feedback, why reinvent the wheel.

Russell
cloita likes this.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
I am using the old trusted HF saw and have been cutting all my angles for a 1/16 to 1/8" mortar joint.
I'm a little confused. If you are cutting your brick this accurate, why do you need mortar? I found that there is zero chance of cracks if you have the patience to cut them that accurate. I think I am around 3 to 4 years after the build and I have no regrets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les,

Hmm, now I am thinking over the process again. I have been able to get this close of tolerance so far but only on the base and first course, now bevels come into play. If I can continue to keep this close of tolerance then I need to rethink mortar or not. Thanks for you feedback.

Russell
Old 06-13-2012, 06:40 AM
Master Builder

Les
the only mortar would be on the bottom of the brick then? No mortar on the vertical joint at all?
Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman View Post
Les
the only mortar would be on the bottom of the brick then? No mortar on the vertical joint at all?
Tracy
I only used mortar in the back to maintain the angle. I used shims to get the brick where I wanted it and then used a grout bag to fill the space with mortar. I have no mortar on the interior except the plug and one brick on the transition to the arch (if I remember correctly, it's been a few years).

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
I have been following this forum for over a year now, savaging materials and supplies. I am building a 42" corner build and I have to give credit to all the members for their ideas and innovations. I started last May but was shut down due to shoulder surgery but I am hard at it again now. I just stripped the forms off my build. Thanks for all the inspiration of you WFOs

Russell
Love the arch for wood storage
Old 06-14-2012, 06:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cloita,

Thanks for the compliment. The forming of the arch almost drove me to drink (not a bad thing) with compound angles and such. The wood storage area doubles as my "man cave" since the better half says I spend more time with the WFO than her

The monolithic arch pour I stole from other WFOs in the group just modified mine for a corner build.

Russell
Old 06-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dee,

Still mulling the arch thermal break over. Since there is an air gap between inner and out arch the outer arch is free standing, any concerns about not being tied to inner arch other than CF rope or refractory caulk? Is your build an igloo or enclosed?

Russell