Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Great info deejayoh,
Beyond compression strength though, I think that we just need to conscider stability into the equation. The 2" of calsil that I had on top of my vcrete may have had the compression strength needed, but it was a little warped and did not set down as tight out in the entry as it did in the oven. Before laying the dome brick I had already installed the floor, which helped it lay flat against the vcrete. We can only use our own best judgement as to wether the components are stable : Are the insulated fire brick touching in all areas, is the calsil laying perfectly flat, etc. In my case, I had two free standing arches constructed before tying them together. They both seemed very stable (seperately) placed on the vcrete. I Think that I read on your build that that you had some conscern about the stabilty of your entry when completed and tied it in with the dome by IFB. I think that is an excellent fix, but I think that it might be unnescesary if it is placed on a stable insulated foundation,
I'm just throwing this in there out of concern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a snake in the garden."

Last edited by Gulf; 06-18-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Compression strength is not really a factor, what matters for using insulating firebrick is abrasion. You can gouge it with a fingernail, so it can not be used in a wear area like the entryway.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Banned

Very Cool. I'm about to stucco a unique Bella C, was made from 90% recycled materials. DIY pizza, Pizza Making Supply, DIY Pizza oven, DIY pizza-ovens, DIY wood ovens, pizza Cutter, Pizza Stones, pizza knives, spice shakers, cheese shakers, crushed red pepper shaker, grill pizza, grill pizza, pizza Q, BBQ pizza, make pizza grill, makin
Old 06-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gulf -
I was kind of thinking that compression strength=stability. IOW, the brick will not crush or deform like CalSil. If I had to do over again, I would have built my arch down to the hearth with IFB - instead of building it on the board with a buttress.

Tscarborough - not sure that will be an issue. If Russell cuts away the CF board and Glass board, the IFB will be well removed from any abrasion issues. It'll be 2-3 inches under the floor. It shouldn't be a wear area.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Serf

I visited Geneva steel in the early 1980's as a graduate student of metallurgy at the U of U...Was my first opportunity to see a blast furnace in person. Glad to know that some of the bricks are now ending up as WFO's!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russell - Looking forward to see what you do. I'm impressed with the build so far!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Apprentice

The inner arch looks great Russell!!! So what amount did you mark to cut off on your arch template? I am planning on doing the exact same thing so I am curious how much you cut off on each side.

Thanks for the email BTW. The added pictures really helped.

Keep up the great work.

Nate
Old 06-20-2012, 04:26 AM
Laborer

That's a great looking arch Russell! I also love your bevel taper jig that you made. Patience pays off and it shows in your build.

Dave
Old 06-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, it looks very nice. I like the way you cut the entry floor brick as well.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Another way to do it on hemispherical arches where you want minimal joints (like the inside arch) is to use the wedges from keystoning the voussoirs. Note that if you want both inner and outer edges of the arch to be continuous you have to make the small end of the wedge at least 1/4" or so.

On the one below, the outside edge was going to be trimmed, so I cut the voussoirs to leave a wedge from X" at the top to zero at the bottom, then dropped them in for the tightest fit, letting the outer edge run wild.