Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Hey Bookem/Laurentius,

Yeah, I do worry about waking up some morning or coming home from work to find a bare naked dome..............thinking of running 220 volt to the dome and tie into the copper LOL. Happy Holidays.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Master Builder

Be careful, you might hurt the innocent or end up in jail.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just kidding.............

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 12-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Hey Chipster,

I work at Snowbird as an instructor on weekends but I live in an area called the Avenues which is by the Capital. Give me a shout if you get a car.
Check your PM's, I will be in town would love to drop by.

Chip
Old 12-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Going to put on the watch list. Thanks for the movie tip, never heard of a pikey either.........

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 12-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just when I get the urge to cook pizza it snows again. Just have get with it and clear the snow off and fire this baby up. I see all the great dishes and bread that the forum members are creating and it makes me drool like paslov's dogs
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-76-ho-ho-ho-12.28.12.jpg  

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Apprentice

Wow! I see that you actually have weather where you live. You probably already thought of this, but just in case you haven't I picked up a great trip on the forums. On the third day after your pizza when the ovens about 250 put 4 to 5 logs in to dry out for the next fire.

My road to pizza is documented here:

Old 01-26-2013, 01:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Russell

I have noticed you have finished your oven surrounds with polished concrete.

I have a question, i have included some photos to give you an idea of what i am trying to achieve. Once i finish the dome i am looking at a polished granite landing and what i want to do with the oven exterior is to finish it with render that looks like the granite in the photos. I'm not sure how to achieve this I was thinking on the last decorative render coat possibly 5-10mm thick, to include some 5-7mm granite fines i can get over here [in aus], mixing it in with the render and then using a diamond cup wheel to grind it back. I'm not necessarily looking for a polished finish but just similar to the bowl, lantern and some natural rocks i have in the garden. I believe i would need to use a white render with a little grey mixed in to achieve the light grey tone. This will keep the overall theme continuous throughout.

Any suggestions?, will this work?

Cheers Colin
Build "new build in Werribee"
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-imag0366.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-imag0365.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-imag0364.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-imag0363.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-26-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin,

I am not sure, I work with a solid concrete surface with glass inlay to polish. I don't think a rendering coat can handle a wet polish process or dry grinding. This is above my pay grade. But that being said, the examples you sent have a more rustic texture and this may be achievable with a render coat "without" any polishing/grinding. Maybe try a test piece and experiment before you go whole hog. Sorry I am not much help here.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Master Builder

I just checked the link to your build in progress.
The artisan level of quality, attention to detail and skill of execution is phenomenal. Beauty and functionality combined! Wow!

A copper dome cover is another challenge in itself! Really looking forward to seeing progress photos and how you resolve fastening, and transitions.

Not so many new constructions with copper here. XXX Expensive, plus easily damaged by acid rain. Temples, Heritage sites, and wealthy farmers are some of the few who can still afford them. The copper develops a beautiful patina in about a year.

I asked a 'bankin-ya-san", tradesman skilled in sheetmetals about copper roofs-
He said that even using thicker materials does not help with the corrosion issues, thicker adds cost, weight, difficulty in fabrication AND tends to crack more easily with tight bends! Light weight roofs now designed for longivity are using "colored stainless steel". I do not know how the copper shingles are fastened (special copper clips?); (elongated nail holes?) but attention must be paid to non-reactive metals and thermal expansion.

Your build is a shining example of dedication and quality !!!
Congratulations of the highest level are in order!!