Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 06:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

They have indeed. The smaller batch was the transferred sprouts from the peat pellets. 54 plants, none list yet...

Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-image.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-18-2014, 07:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

No plants here yet, we had 10 inches of snow on Wed. It melted some yesterday but is still hanging around this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-image.jpg  
Old 04-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Master Builder

I remember the conditions well!
A good time for planting snowpeas and iceberg lettuce!
Old 04-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Mr. C,
Can't believe the snow you guys have gotten this year..........I see Gulf spotted some SM plants at the Lowes in his area and his are all ready in the ground. Mine are still little runts.
I didn't buy the Lowes' SMs. I'm keeping the "Utah Strain" going .

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 04-18-2014, 04:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
I didn't buy the Lowes' SMs. I'm keeping the "Utah Strain" going .
Good thing. If they were from lowes they would probably grow in twisted and split and you would have to return them, only to have to take store credit because you couldn't find the receipt.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Good thing. If they were from lowes they would probably grow in twisted and split and you would have to return them, only to have to take store credit because you couldn't find the receipt.
I understand fully what you mean and very much agree. But, for those that don't: I usually buy my lumber elsewhere . The "maters" though, will probably be OK, even if if they are a little "twisted" .

Old 04-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh no Lowes lumber is just perfect...a 200:1 ratio of bad lumber to good is so much fun to sort through. I get all my concrete forms there.
Gulf likes this.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-19-2014, 12:12 AM
Apprentice

I have the scan barcode that is my account. I think I can bring back just about anything.... Not sure though.

I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food...
WC Fields

Link to my build

Old 04-25-2014, 01:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russell,
We have a similar problem. My tomatoes are powering away, but the snow peas we transplanted have died because it's still too hot for them. We grow vegetables in the winter here so excessive heat at the start is often a problem.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russell,
I started mine in my sun room, just like last year. But, a good bit earlier. I don't have anything but the natural light coming form the windows. Waiting on warmer weather, and then the spring storms, these girls grew very tall and gangly! I guess that they were searching for a little more than just a little early morning and late afternoon sunlight. To make a long story short, mine are suffering from the shock of the "cold/hot cruel world". I will build a small hot house for next years .