Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

I didn't exactly have that that thought through, but I think you could seal that seam a bit more easily than trying to seal a flat joint with your countertop. Grind the concrete down a bit and apply some bonding agent. Round the joint so the water flows away. I think your countertop is sloped away in any case, isn't it?

Foot is doing much better. Thx for asking. I can't do much in the way of athletics, but I'm getting around pretty well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Appears to be similar to Drylok. I had plenty left over from my stand. I thought about using it on the outside of my stucco. But,(in my case) I wasn't sure if the brick would bond to it. I used Sikalatex as a water replacement in my stucco layers. I also painted a a coat between the layers as a bonding agent.
Thoroseal is cement based and Drylok is latex. I have used Drylok before too, on foundation walls. Good product too. I don't think I would trust it on warm surfaces being latex though.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russ, if you don't have them, I recommend getting hand seamers..3 & 6 inch. They allow you to tighten up your bends when they intersect, and make adjustments better than a small hand brake. I have an apprenticeship in HVAC, but most of what we did was sheetmetal fabrication..those little tools were very useful to me.

I didn't check the old posts, but I think I recommended practicing on aluminum coil stock, because it's easier to bend for practice pieces.

As for your countertop, any good quality penetrating sealer plus a couple coats of wax should do the trick.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 07-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That's good. Looking forward to seeing the work.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 08-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
......................... Mr. C posted pics of his babies, where are Gulf's and Tu's??
Russell,
I think that you could spot me a week or so, due to the US Mail . I was waiting until I could get a good pic of a ripening cluster . Your tomates look great, by the way. I got a late start for our growing season down here. It has been a while since I have grown my own tomatoes. When I did it was only Marions. They are a great for our climate. I had a rough start with the San Marzono's. Late start, cut worms, blossom end rot and who knows whats next .
They do seem to put on a lot of fruit down here, though. If it were not for the above mentioned, I think that I would have a big crop. Next year, I will get an early start, I've got a plan for the cut worms, and won't have to dissolve half of my wife's calcium supplemants for the "maters" .

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 08-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

For some reason I have lots of fruit but nothing red yet. I have one plant in a large pot on the pool deck and it is growing like a weed but having end rot problems on that plant, all of the others look good but very dense and hard to even get a photo of the fruit. Another week of good weather here, hope to have slices on a Za next weekend. I added ground up egg shells and calcium tabs to the soil and it may be helping.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Not sure if I thanked you Russell for answering the question the other day. Thanks for that. How's the copper project going?

Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Any updates Russell? You going to get that cover on before the snows hit?

Old 12-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Apprentice

Russell,

We need some pics of the new stuff you've been working on deck and pergola wise. I'm sure it is looking nice. We've had nothing but good weather since October.

My Build -

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here
Old 12-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Apprentice

Looks great my friend. what is the second pic for? how to start a fire in the oven?

My Build -

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here