Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Thank you Utah,
I don't call it an "enclosure" though. I really like many of enclosures that I have seen on this forum and I really like many of the Igloos too. I decided to split the difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was able to pull up the foamglass and CaSi board after work and lay down the fireclay and sand mix. Reinstalled insulation and brick floor and base ring of dome. Did learn I was glad I numbered all the bricks and take a picture for orientation. Without them I would still be out there trying to piece things together. Made the mistake when laying the sand mix to over moisten the concrete so the notched trowel just smeared the fireclay/sand mix. Work other areas then came back. Mix almost set in some areas and sloppy smear in in others.

Going to start the inner arch later this week based on Karanga Dude and GianniF builds.

Russell
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-30a-brick-floor-insulation-5.30.12.jpg  
Old 06-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Apprentice

Hey Russell,

The build looks great so far. I am just a few hours north of you in Eastern Idaho. I will be watching your build closely.

Good luck!

Nate
Old 06-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

PN,
Thanks for the encouragement. This project is a labor of love.
Russell
Old 06-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Apprentice

Hey Russell,

You said you have more pics of your base build...where can we find them? I am very interested in your design (since it will probably fit my yard better) and storage area. Let me know where I can find them.

Thanks,

Nate
Old 06-04-2012, 05:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

PN,
I will send you some next week i am out of the country right now. Do you have a email address you want them sent?

Russell
Old 06-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

A great start! I sent you a Private message.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Derk,
Reading Clofgreen's build and notice you son is or was a lifty at Snowbird. I have over 20 years as aski and snowboard instructor at the Bird. Small world.

I am debating withself on mortar joint size. Notice Clofgreen joints were 1/16" front 3/16" back. If i get this on an dome i will be very happy. What is your experience?

Russell
Old 06-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Apprentice

Russell,

Austin loved his time there, it was only one season though. He is leaving on a mission to Romania in July. He has a skier get hung up on a chair and was going on up the hill, he asked Austin for a knife and he cut himself down, 8 foot drop but he was ok. A little stress for the newbie operator. He said that I was going skiing before the end of the season, I went, it had been 20 years, still had the skills and the desire, but the thighs were on fire after 3/4 of a run. Anyway back tot he topic at hand.

I think that the advice from clofgreen is good, uniformity is great, We winged it and the inside of our barrel looks really rough, not very pretty. there does not seem to be any problems with the joints even though the gap width is all over the place. No cracking or drop offs that I can see. Post to Tscarborough with the question or search his threat and photos, he knows his stuff.

Good luck,

Derk
Old 06-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tight as possible on the front without being anal about it and the back doesn't really matter. Ideal refractory joints are 1/8 or less, but that is not realistic for a Pompeii oven.

« size of the reveal | - »