Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 06:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Bookem/Amac/Cloita

Thanks for the nice words, as for me the doc injected the knee with cortizone and not as painful today. But I may have to sneak a peak at the top of the oven so I can stay on the ground and cut a few bricks for the last course. Don't squeal to the better half on me LOL.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Master Builder

Hey Russell
Sorry to hear about the knee. Building a WFO generates enough pain on its own without injuries. I had shoulder surgery in March of 2011 from an ungraceful ladder exit. That was a real setback. I remember trying to work on the ceiling and couldn't raise my left arm. My son actually helped me a lot during that time.
Glad to hear the math helped out. Something about those last courses require all the help you can muster. There are no "cookie-cutter" brick ovens, all are custom hand made for sure. Great job so far. you are really close to moving on to the next job that awaits you.
Tracy

Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am back off injured reserve! Back to my WFO, kind of, no more jumping off the hearth floor to the ground. Have to act my age

Been multitasking:

1. Went back to the IT with a modified smaller bracket and sticks, although the disk method was faster and easier, there were too many variables on my build and not being able to see the final fit until after the disk was down and mortar set drove me nuts. So I am setting a couple bricks the old way and working elsewhere on the build while the mortar sets.

2. While I was grounded to the ground, started laying out vent arch.

3. Wanted to do something artistic with the plug. So I decided to etch and interior face of my plug brick and then add a contrast color refractory to the etch area. I know it really won't be seen but I thought it would be cool to do. Pics on second post.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-53e-last-course-8.10.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-53f-vent-arch-8.10.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-53h-mod-8.10.12.jpg  
irelande5 likes this.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 08-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here are pics of the etch plug blank, something fun...........

Now I can't screw up the cutting of the plug or a lot of work for naught.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-53-plug-etch-8.10.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-53a-plug-etch-8.10.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-53b-plug-etch-8.10.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-53c-plug-etch-8.10.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-53d-plug-etch-8.10.12.jpg  

Tscarborough and Laku like this.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 08-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Laborer

Very awesome touch on that plug, Russell. Welcome back to the game! I just started my penultimate course, can't friggin wait!

"If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else." --Yogi Berra
Old 08-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Apprentice

nice clean work, really like the arch

Old 08-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jonathan/Irelande5,

Thanks for the kudos, fun to watch you guys builds as well.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 08-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

After a long day, the Dome is "PLUGGED". The stars lined up and after a lot of shaving and grinding and climbing back inside the dome to point the mortar joints and clean up the excess, I am done! Corona time...........
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-54-plugging-dome-8.11.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-54b-plugging-dome-8.11.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-54d-plugging-dome-8.11.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-54f-plugging-dome-8.11.12.jpg  
Karangi Dude likes this.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 08-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Part 2 Pics - The Dome is Plugged
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-54g-plugging-dome-8.11.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-54i-plugging-dome-8.11.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-54j-plugging-dome-8.11.12.jpg  
Karangi Dude, Gulf and banhxeo76 like this.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 08-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Apprentice

Congrats well done! XXX quality work.

My road to pizza is documented here: