Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Looks good Russell! Can't wait to see the results. I am still waiting for my special order concrete to arrive. But I plan to do the same drill with the pigment and the kitchen scale...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Not sure if you have the correct thread on a Beehive Oven.
That's a spammer

Old 09-22-2012, 04:24 AM
Journeyman

Hi Russell
Good luck - I was going to suggest that you draw a line with pencil or marker on the inside so that you keep the level consistent - but I guess that is what the tape is for. Another thing you might consider is to do in in two stages so that
a)you can have another straight edge to use for screeding - but I guess you may be able to manage with some help and
b) you can do a a smaller piece in less time.
If you have some help these considerations won't be so critical.

You have some advantages over what I did by doing all this before isulating layers etc are added since you don't need to pay too much attention closer to the dome - and you might even have room for a mould edge in there since it will be covered later - but you would need to pull it out pretty quick before it cured.
I think it will go well - looks good!

Old 09-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
one to try and keep the colored concrete splash off the brick
Yeah I shouldv'e done that - the dome was OK because it was the same color but I still got a bit of cleaning up to do on the arches.

Quote:
I have plenty of help today, my step son and his friend are civil engineers in concrete, and I am a mechanical engineer..........how may engineers does it take to screw in a light bulb???.
That many engineers almost amounts to cheating Russell .. I took the trouble to Google the answer to that one just in case you didn't .. and I'm sure you did. Here are a sample.
Quote:
A1: None. They are all too busy trying to design the perfect light bulb.

A2: Only the one with the instruction manual.

A3: One. But she would insist that the way she did it was distinctive.

A4: Three. One to hold the ladder, one to hold the light bulb, and the third to interpret the Japanese text.

A5: Five. One to design a nuclear-powered light bulb that never needs changing, one to figure out how to power the rest of the USA using that nuked light bulb, two to install it, and one to write the computer program that controls the wall switch.

A6: None. "According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist."
For those software engineers - the problem is more complex:

Quote:
How many software engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

None. "It's a hardware problem"
Just one. But it takes them all night. And when they're done, the washing machine doesn't work right.
None. "We'll document it in the manual."
Two. One always leaves in the middle of the project.
Four. One to design the change, one to implement it, one to document it, and one to maintain it afterwards.
Four, plus one senior analyst to manage the project, one technical writer to correct the spelling and grammar of the one who documented it, one light bulb librarian, a sales-force of at least five to drum up enough users who want to turn the light on, 274 users to burn out the new bulb, at which point we go to tender for another light bulb change...
Five. Two to write the specification program, one to screw it in, and two to explain why the project was late.
Only one, but she's not available till the year 2000.
"The change is 90% complete."
"It's hard to say. Each time we separate the bulb into its modules to do unit testing, it stops working."
Of course, as everyone knows, just five years ago all it took was a bunch of kids in a garage in Palo Alto to change a light bulb.
My favourite though is:
Quote:
How many Buddhists doe it take ..

A. Two - one to change it and one not to change it!

Last edited by Amac; 09-22-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russell,
If you only get 1/10th of that glass to reveal and polish out at the surface, it will be imaculate . Have faith, it will turn out fine.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
DVM,

Using special concrete counter blend? Didn't you say you were going with Quikrete counter blend. I did not see it around here either.
I am quietly working on a grill surround and adjacent fireplace and waiting to see how all these poured counters work out before I commit to a plan

My road to pizza is documented here:

Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russell -

Looks pretty good to me. I am jealous that you're able to pour. I am still waiting for my "special delivery"

did you use a mixer, or blend in a wheelbarrow?

I think you can pull the forms in about 18 hours. Cheng and Buddy Rhodes videos were pretty consistent on that.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russell -
Looks like the edges on your countertop came out really nicely. I like the color too. Good work.

I hear you on the rain. I'm just crossing my fingers I can get my pour done this week cuz it's coming. I live in seattle after all...

Old 09-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have read that Green and Blue are the most difficult colors to get right

Old 09-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Serf

I am going to be buying the Pompeii 90 oven kit which is the 36" oven. I am doing a corner install. I was hoping you could tell me what my foundation measurements should be.