Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

I have one more course to go then a plug. I plan to use 4 blocks per brick for the last course. That leave the plug - I think the diameter on the dome side will be < 4-1/2" I have been toying with the idea of using the grinder to bring the opening to a perfect circle before forming the plug.

My road to pizza is documented here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

DVM,

I'll be watching..........

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Steal all you want, I am a master at it. I am not one to reinvent the wheel. For me, I am not enclosing the igloo but that said all I have decided so far is some type of stucco or masonary covering, no enclosure. I am toying with place a roof over the igloo like Gulf did. Not much help here. BTW, like how everything is coming together on your build, especially with the arch rebuild and the difficult chimney design. Keep up the great work.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Apprentice

Russ,

Everything is looking great. I am glad that the anchor method is working well for you. You will be done with the dome shortly. When you place the final keystone on the dome, it is going to feel like you are on top of a mountain and it is an awesome feeling. Keep up with the good work.

It always fun to see fellow WFO builders appoarching a big goal.

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Apprentice

Crikey Russell, its rain, rain, rain here! You guys need some?
Had a couple of days where i've got out, and laid more of the rest of my Garden Cooking experience. But since then, more rain, and no photo oppos.

I believe we're gonna get some of that sunny dry stuff that's been over the states soon. It'll be sand storms and brushfires in a couple of weeks!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I found this was facinating as well when I built mine dvm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvm View Post
The surprise (to me).... bricks needed to decrease (after increasing slightly for each of several courses) and the bevel suddenly increased! Definitely cut a few, dry set, adjust, mortar, repeat.
Sometimes, no bevel-cuts and maybe a slight thickening of the rear of the brick is all that is needed to complete that row in the correct angle to get to next row and eventually close the dome.

Russell,
Your oven's looking good. Nice joints and it looks like you are cleaning up a bit as you go. It will be much harder after it dries so try to keep up with it. Good work.
-dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 07-18-2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spellig, no smelling, no spulling
Old 07-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dino,

Thanks for the compliments. I take cleaning up on my build like mowing the lawn, if you more it regularly it is alot easier than waiting until it is 12" long. The angles and bevels are like DVM says are kind of mysterious.....in these upper courses.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Tu,

Auughhh, thought the mortar would of set overnight, got a little aggressive with the rubber mallet tonight and low and behold I broke my anchor. Starting all over again tonight. Lesson learned.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-18-2012, 06:30 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Hey Tu,

got a little aggressive with the rubber mallet tonight and low and behold I broke my anchor. Starting all over again tonight.
Where is the dislike button?
Dino_Pizza likes this.

My road to pizza is documented here:

Old 07-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Apprentice

Sound like the mortar did set but you just went out of town with the rubber mallet. The mortar can only handle so much. Instead of using mortar, you can give Krazy glue a shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-glue-guy_01.jpg  

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.