Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Those bricks look familiar. We set our floor bricks 4.5 X7X18 on their edge so our floor is 4.5" thick. We also make great pizza. A while back we had a family get together on a sunday and leaving the coals in and closing the door we had fall off the bones whole turkey tuesday night. Keep things a little moist as you go along. Things really dry out quick here. Go easy on the curing when you get to that point. I think that I cheated the devil and did not do as many small fires as is recommended. I see no cracks or any other signs of damage.

We were also luck to get tapered bricks for my vault, did not cut a one for it. it is also 4.5 thick.

Good luck,

Derk
Old 05-24-2012, 06:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Derk,

Thanks for the info. I will keep the curing issue in mind but I have a ways to go so hope to remember your tid bit of info by then. What was your hearth insulation under your 4.5" floor? Finished the inner arch plywood form and dome template and going over GianniF's process for a tapered arch. Hoping to have a productive Memorial Day weekend. Happy holiday to all you WFOs.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Looks like you have things well in hand Russell

I like the use of those recycled bricks. I don't think the high duty bricks act much different than low duty bricks for our purpose, its just that they will go to a much higher temperature and stay intact. Our ovens don't approach the temps that will compromise even the low duty bricks. That is what I've read anyway.

You have a neat operation there, you must be a 'detail' person.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lee,

Thanks for the feedback and compliment. BTW, I thank you for putting the "treasure" achive link together to highlight some of the best builds in the forum. I used these links as becnhmark for my build. Unfortunately, good or bad I am a perfectionist. I think more than I do so my work is and will run in spurts.

Russell
Old 05-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Lee,

Thanks for the feedback and compliment. BTW, I thank you for putting the "treasure" achive link together to highlight some of the best builds in the forum. I used these links as becnhmark for my build. Unfortunately, good or bad I am a perfectionist. I think more than I do so my work is and will run in spurts.

Russell
Glad that thread was useful to you! The oven construction is a fulfilling and pleasurable journey, enjoy it.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Apprentice

I poured an 8" top slab. Directly under my oven a 4" deep depression was formed in and eventually filled in with the infamous perlcrete concoction. In hindsight I think that I would lower the stand a little and put some type of insulated board underneath as well. You can never have too much insulation. You can't add it underneath when you are done.

If I have a really good fire, the slab eventually acts as a heat sink and the ceiling of the wood space underneath the oven heats up quite good.

We still have good pizza and other things, even with the few flaws that are there. The ovens are very forgiving once you get to know you oven.

Derk
Old 05-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

For those who think summer is here. I was at Park City (Deer Valley) last night and woke up to 2" of snow on the ground. The weather this Memorial Day weekend in SLC has been rainy and cold but today is very nice. So no rest for the wicked.

Finished my foot print for the floor and dome base course. Numbered and pulled them off the hearth. Put down 2" of foam glass, measured and cut.
Tip, foam glass is fragile but I found taking an old shard and rubbing the wet foam glass with shard smooths the rough edges on the cut (used a HF wet saw) and helps fine tune the cut. The SS channel is for a thermal break (still need to cut in), stole the idea from WFOer GianniF. Next step was addin1.5" of CaSi board.

Russell
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-29-footprint-finished-5.28.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-29d-foamglass-layout-5.28.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-29e-foamglass-layout-5.28.12.jpg  
Old 05-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Part two of Memorial Day fun.

Added CaSi board, cut with a jigsaw. Nasty stuff, wore a Niosh 95 mask and safety glasses. Glad that part is over. Placed on Foamglass so total insulation in 3.5" on hearth with a 3" firebrick floor. Going to mix up 1/2 sand and 1/2 fireclay to bed and level foam glass/CaSi then replace brick floor foot print this week after work.

Bad news, the better half say this oven is going to cost me alot more than I was planning. She says since I spend my time on the oven she is going shopping

Happy tail end of the holiday weekend.

Russell
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-29j-casi-layout-5.28.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-29k-casi-layout-5.28.12.jpg  
Gulf likes this.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Corner builds look so . I really like the monolithic arch poured with the hearth. Mine is not a corner build but that is the way I attacked the lintel over the wood storage.
Its looking great, will stay tuned .

Old 05-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Gulf,

I been following your buiild from day one. What a cool build and enclosure you have designed.