Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Unproductive day, did not like how the tie-ins to the arch on course 6 were shaping up from yesterday. They look good last night but overnight they got ugly. Amazing what a nights sleep will do. Knocked your two bricks each side of the arch and redid. Just mortared them in tonight to set and try again tomorrow. Making the arch completion is more complex than I thought. Any tip welcome, small bricks, large bricks?
Russell
Looking at your pics from the 07/04/12 from the inside shot. It looks like just some really small droop next to arch on course 5. Those arch tie-ins will lie to you. Will your IT lock on plane? i.e (lock so it is set on a level horizontal plan) that will really help keep them level. Gianni advised me to even tilt them up slightly and i still had some droop. That may be what is giving you grief on tieing in 6.
Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Tex,

Yeah, they lie to ya, I almost completed course 6 except for the tie-ins, slept on it, did not like the way they looking, chiseled them out. Hoping that what happened to you on your arch did not happen to me. Lucky for me I got a couple bricks out each side of the course and redid. Spent the weekend adjusting cuts to compensate for the dreaded droop (used a level and IT a "LOT") to square up. Finally completed the tie-in over the arch with droop corrections. Headed for a full course 7 now. BTW, good adaptation for your thermal break. Still toying on what to do on my end.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Hey Tex,

Still toying on what to do on my end.
FWIW
I didn't really "plan" the thermal break. I wanted to include one, but couldn't wrap my head around how to do it when i started. It worked out good i think. I like Tscars comment about the size. They don't have to be that big, only 1/8 to 1/4". I went with 3/8 to have margin for error. My inner arch was not exactly vertical. It protrudes slightly towards the top. I found some 3/8" braided square rope gasket that i think will work good. I plan on multiple layers of the stuff to seal all that hot stuff coming out of the oven. The breaks get tricky at the top of the vent for me since i have to transition back towards the oven. I didn't want a deep vent and the increased reach into cooking floor. It is a long way already.
Tex

Old 07-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Finally cleared the arch with course 6. Still a little droop but I think I can make the correction in the next course and be on track. Between making the arch/course transition and the heat (triple digits) it was a slow go but I made it. Now I have to sort my bricks for the next few course, up to now I have had a fairly consistent width (5.25") but those are gone and now I have quite a mix bag of widths, ranging from 4 1/8" on down to 1.5", luck has it, the depth and thickness are consistent. But it is like a jigsaw puzzle and I am up to the challenge.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-43-cleared-arch-7.8.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-43a-cleared-arch-7.8.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-44-brick-sizes-7.10.12.jpg  
texman and Amac like this.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Apprentice

Russel
I am super impressed with your build.Your arch transitions look great, and working in that heat (with I suspect ultra-fast setting mortar) adds to the challenge.
Keep up the good work!
dvm
Old 07-11-2012, 05:11 AM
Apprentice

Great work Russell! I am pretty sure there is now no way I will ever catch you. Your work looks great. I just hope I can do half as well as you.

Nate
Old 07-11-2012, 06:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

DVM and Nate,

Thanks for encouragement and compliments.

DVM,

I like the look of your hemisphere build, you are on the home stretch. Pizza in OC in not time.

Nate,

We are not in a race, your build is looking good. If I had any advice, take your time, be patience and enjoy the experience. We can trade pizza recipes in the future.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Apprentice

LOL...fair enough.

Nate
Old 07-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Peasant

Hi,

I have have enjoyed your build progress and have been learning a lot.

Thanks for your angle-bevel tool pics. I modeled mine after yours. I still have to gain some experience in setting the angles correctly.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-bc-bevel-angle-tool.jpg  
Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Don,

I need to clear one thing up, it is not "my" tool, like alot of things I bummend the idea from another WFOer . I am really good at snitching other people's ideas off this forum it it helps me with my build. I am glad I could contribute in a small way. Looks like a winner to me. I have had to fiddle alot with my angles and bevels. One tip I could give you, after you make your model cut, only cut say a 1/4 course and re-evaluate if angle and bevel settings still work. I find mortar gap and variable brick dimensions and roundness of dome change how the bricks fit. I am still using JCG31 chart as a base line and it gets me in ball park. Good luck...........

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log