Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Thanks Russell! That would be awesome! I think I'm going to try and route a cove kerf in between the arches that would hold the rope. I've used a regular router bit on stone before (I was desperate!!) and it actually worked. Wouldn't exactly use that bit again but for the 40" or so I needed to route I think it'll work..

If you like the color on the tops I can send you some of the colorant I used. I bought 5 lbs of it and after doing the conversions to bags of concrete I don't think I even used 1 lb. If I remember right it was something like 3 lbs to a cubic yard. I used a HF (love that place BTW) scale to measure it out per bag and put it in ziplocs..

Thanks again and if need some $$ let me know!
Old 08-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Laborer

Thanks again Russell! I have lived in Cbad for 10 years on Halloween, San Diego County going on 35 yrs...I have probably eaten at every restaurant in town too! Which one? We could REALLY use a good wood fired pizza joint. We have Sammy's (a chain) which is pretty good, but still chainy...
Old 08-31-2012, 11:19 PM
Laborer

looks very clean man, keep it up. see you at the finish line!!!

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra
Old 09-06-2012, 01:06 AM
Apprentice

Hello Russell
I hope you had some good relax time - I bet you were thinking about your oven.

I am planning a poured counter top as well as a poured bench and a poured hearth on the adjacent fireplace. I found the following post by Neil2 that looked very helpful: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/in...tml#post133491 (Insulation blanket, ceramic insulating tape?)Prior to reading this I thought it would be best to let the pour cure for a full 28 days before starting to work on it - Not so if you want to expose aggregate per this info. Did I see that you intend to put some glass in the pour for interest? Will you simply drop this in after the first screed?
Looking forward to following you on this one.

My road to pizza is documented here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Actually, you want to start grinding as soon as you can without pulling aggregate out of the surface.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Actually, you want to start grinding as soon as you can without pulling aggregate out of the surface.
Which I read (no experience) is about 3 days after the pour.

My road to pizza is documented here:

Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It depends upon the aggregate, for a soft one like limestone you can grind the next day, for harder (normal) ones 3-4 days.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Apprentice

Looks great, cant get over how nice your arch looks, wow!

Old 09-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

R -
I say skip the sterno unless you already have it laying around. It doesn't put off enough heat for the price of it.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Also...

On the countertops, what are you using for the concrete mix? I have been reading up on this a bit - and my current plan is to use Quikcrete 5000, with an extra shovelful of portland added for each bag, along with some plasticizer/water reducer. This seems to be what the "pros" do - and is the equivalent of the countertop blends.

I also ordered some fiberglass mesh, fibers, and pigment from directcolors.com that I will be adding to the mix/using instead of rebar. This also seems to be the commercial approach.

There is a concrete countertop installer forum that I came across (can't remember URL) that had a load of good info on what the state of the art is. the countertop equivalent of Forno Bravo. I will post if I recall

Would love to hear the details of your plans, you are always on top of this sort of thing. I hope to be pouring my countertops next weekend! I got the last under-cabinet work done yesterday (building out a storage space).
dvm likes this.