Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Russell -
Catching up on this a bit late, as I was on vacation for the last couple weeks. Very nice job closing the dome! Looks great.

But I thought this was the appropriate bevvie for closing the dome?
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-keystone-20lager.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Heat beads AKA briquets in American

they're a damn sight cheaper than chafing fuel (which I used), that is for sure. I vote go with the Dude.

I'm off to source some soapstone for my landing

Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russell,

I had the same problem. Over time, the left-hand (as you face the saw) rail shifts slightly. You can put the rail back into alignment by loosening the (allen) bolts on either end of the rail and re-tightening. Should take you 5-6 minutes tops.
John
Old 08-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Serf

Hi Russell,

Been following your build for awhile and used many of your techniques on my 42 inch build. Much of my build has been modeled after some of your work. - Thanks.

I got slightly ahead of you. (Actually hired alot of the build out). I have been doing curing fires for almost 2 weeks. Started with a heat lamp, then just some newspaper and then small fires and built up to larger. I did not have the insulation blanket on when doing the cures. Well on Monday I took the dome up to about 650 degrees and heard a loud pop. Check around the outside of the dome and found a crack that went first around the top of the dome 2/3 of the way from the top, and then two other cracks that intersected that crack and went streight up and down. They seemed about 1/8 of an inch wide. Have not been able to detect the crack from the inside of the oven so far.

Next day after oven cooled the cracks look hairline at best, so not really a problem, but if I had it to do over again, I would have placed at least 1 inch of insulation blanket down before starting higher temperature fire cure. It may not have made a difference and based on thickness of the cracks, it does not appear I will have any problems going forward. I did place the thermal blanket on today (3 inches thick) and did a new curing fire. Went up to 750 degrees today. Just giving you my experience with not having the blanket on when curing.

I was a little upset about the crack, but after sleeping on it and seeing how thin they are when the oven cooled, plus reading what others have said about cracks, it's not bothering me at all and just glad to move onto next step and have the insulation on the dome.

best,

Manny
Old 08-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Laborer

so clean, love those arches way more than mine.

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra
Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It looks like the outer arch is 3/4-1" larger than the inner, so he should be GTG.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Laborer

Russell....no worries on the curing with your build. I started with a newspaper fire, then paper and cedar shingle scraps then on to oak.......in a series of three days. Today I brought the dome up to 650 degrees with no cracks. Your build should withstand much more than that without issues.

One thing I can say is that I used Heatstop 50 and not homebrew. My oven so far rocks. Keeping my fingers crossed once I get passed the 800 degree mark!

You will do great during the curing stage!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Apprentice

Russell,

It is looking great!! Amazing job. Because of so many things I haven't been able to even touch my oven for the last few weeks which is frustrating but oh well.

Again, great job!!

Nate
Old 08-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Apprentice

wow, what a awesome arch, incredible work Russell, I am jealous!

Old 08-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I smell pizza....