Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Russell and Tracy,

Thanks for the information. I hope either option is better than the angle grinder. It is tough.

Nate
Old 06-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Been a slow go, finally finished course 4, worked on adjusting course so dome is level front to back and side to side. Was starting to dip a little so thought now was the time to correct. Getting the hang of tying into the arch. I found that if I keep the arch one course ahead of the chain the tie-in is easier. Still a lot of shaving or grinding (flyfisherx - yes I broke out the grinder from the garage). Using a combination of the two. Heat is setting the mortar fast, mixing small batches so only doing 3-4 bricks at a time, even with soaking the bricks no wally gagging. Moving on and upward to course 5.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-40-course-4-6.27.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-40a-course-4-6.27.12.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-40b-course-4-6.27.12.jpg  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Apprentice

Russell,

It is looking great! So how many bricks did you buy if you don't mind me asking and do you think it will be enough? I bought 250 and I hope it is enough but who knows with all the cutting to make all the tight fits. Anyway, just curious.

Nate
Old 06-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Apprentice

Follow up on the question about cutting your base cinder block. This morning I tried to get the wet saw I am borrowing from a friend but it is lent out so I went with Tracy's suggestion and bought a diamond blade for my circular saw and it was so EASY. Thanks again to both for the ideas.

Nate
Old 06-30-2012, 01:11 AM
Apprentice

Russell
Your build is looking great!
dvm
Old 06-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Nate,

My count will be different than your count since I am using various size bricks, they are larger and thicker and tapered. I am pretty sure there is a thread on "how many bricks do you need" where there was a ton of opinions. Glad the circular saw diamond blade worked out and also you have access to a wet saw for the dome. Life will be better than a angle grinder build. Good luck.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-02-2012, 04:19 AM
Laborer

That transition is looking flawless. Awesome job!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Fish, But it is a slow go tie-ing in. Just finished dry cut tie-in on next course, I think I can lay the whole course in the time I have doing the tie-in brick. Thanks for the encouragement.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-02-2012, 05:58 AM
Laborer

I hear you, but the time you are taking is showing in a very good looking build. I just got past my arch yesterday and am done with my 7th course. I used the grinder a lot with it. I can't see how one can do it with the wet saw alone. Moving to the 8th tonight.

Just keep taking your time. Just like Gianni said. "you only get to build it once."

I am taking the 50/50 road. Take my time....get impatient and just say...it's good enough!

Dave
Old 07-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Laborer

i love the large bricks Russell

"If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else." --Yogi Berra