Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

I admire the the tight cuts. I was lazy with mine and just tried to keep them tight to the inside of the dome. At the point your are in the pic, I already had the next disc placed. The platform disc just barely catches the edge of the previous course. I let the the outside of the course set down on the platform disc and the inside of that course set on the disc cut for the next row.

It may not be perfectly symetrical but, 1/4" (the stock that I had was 3/16") will set the angle pretty close.
videts38 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 07-30-2012, 02:01 AM
Master Builder

Nice work Russell, been watching your build.

Pretty nasty getting in there to do the clean up......at least you can't hear SWMBO while in there.

I like how you have put an outer layer on as you go. Is that you left-overs from each course?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Apprentice

Hi Russ, sorry to hear about the WFO strain injury. The old oven is looking the Bees knees!

I really like the "go stick your head in the oven" bit. The sounds and vibrations that come through from the road and the work your doing is amazing.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:33 AM
Laborer

Damn Russ, that's no good! I kinda pretend I'm a ninja jumping up and down from there, so I'll take this as a warning to stop that nonsense... =)

Hope it's nothing!

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra
Old 08-03-2012, 06:37 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Somewhere this weekend I tweaked my knee climbing up and down the build or maybe jumping off the hearth floor to the ground.
Sorry to hear that you've been sidelined for a while Russell.

There should definitely be a thread of oven related injuries - I've had tendonitis in both elbows from recent exertions - nothing too serious. I'm thinking of the minor kind but the potential for serious is never too far away with these tools - so maybe I shouldn't joke.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Apprentice

Me too Amac, either Tennis or Golfers elbow to the left. I put it down to bricklaying.
And there was i thinking that it'd be nice to make a living out of going back to landscaping and adding in the Pizza Oven bit!
Deffo get broken to easy these days!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Master Builder

Hey Russell
Sorry to hear about the knee. Building a WFO generates enough pain on its own without injuries. I had shoulder surgery in March of 2011 from an ungraceful ladder exit. That was a real setback. I remember trying to work on the ceiling and couldn't raise my left arm. My son actually helped me a lot during that time.
Glad to hear the math helped out. Something about those last courses require all the help you can muster. There are no "cookie-cutter" brick ovens, all are custom hand made for sure. Great job so far. you are really close to moving on to the next job that awaits you.
Tracy

Old 08-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Laborer

Very awesome touch on that plug, Russell. Welcome back to the game! I just started my penultimate course, can't friggin wait!

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra
Old 08-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Apprentice

nice clean work, really like the arch

Old 08-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Apprentice

Congrats well done! XXX quality work.

My road to pizza is documented here: