Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 05:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Damon,

Originally I was going to build the full arch too but after reading GianniF's post a little closer, he only completed his arch the last few courses. On the other hand Karaga Dude built is arch first then married the courses. I think it is a matter of preference, both ways have merits and disadvantages. My goal was to avoid vertical stacking of joints, we will see. I actually, threw away and redid one of my closers due to this exact issue. Probably no one ever see this once the dome was done but I would and I am my own worst critic.

Good luck with your "second" build. I am jealous, I am cutting my teeth on the first one. I guess it is your winter there but still milded enough to build?

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:27 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Slloooowww, day today. Marrying the arch and course 3 kick my @#$, lots of trips to the HF saw. Now I understand GianniF's concept of "shaving" a brick. Came close to over cutting a couple times. Bet I walked a couple miles back and forth to the saw. But it is done. Having a martini now.............
I hear you on this one. you might consider cutting and setting the entire arch now. I started like you, building he arch as i went. I followed Gianni as well and Amac suggested that i complete the arch (sharky and Karangi style) and it does make it somewhat easier to have that arch to push against and see the cuts necessary to join. I have cut a brick as many as seven times , before it looks right. So, i would recommend getting that saw close if you can as well.
Looks great!
I bet you invented the "Brick Dust Martini"
Here is a pic of my inner arch transition tryin to avoid stacking. Not a perfect example, but maybe it will help.
Tracy
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-06182012b.jpg  

Last edited by texman; 06-25-2012 at 07:04 AM. Reason: add pic of arch trans
Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Okay guys,

Moving the saw back and the lawn will just have to suffer and I won't (as much, anyway). I think I am going to install one more course then finish out the complete arch. Kind of a combination of suggestions from the group. So far I have using full width bricks, mine are 4.5" (abt 5.25" before) final width after the 6 degree angle cut but seeing a little overhang with the vertical joint below eventhough the edges are flush with the bricks, cord length. Suggestions or is it a mute point? I have a myriad of different width bricks, 3", 2.5" and 2.25" but was saving them for upper courses.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Okay guys,

Moving the saw back and the lawn will just have to suffer and I won't (as much, anyway). I think I am going to install one more course then finish out the complete arch. Kind of a combination of suggestions from the group. So far I have using full width bricks, mine are 4.5" (abt 5.25" before) final width after the 6 degree angle cut but seeing a little overhang with the vertical joint below eventhough the edges are flush with the bricks, cord length. Suggestions or is it a mute point? I have a myriad of different width bricks, 3", 2.5" and 2.25" but was saving them for upper courses.
Man, this is hard enough with uniform bricks!
Are you talking about what Tscar said in post #116?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tex,

Like the "brick dust martini" I think a had too much of it so not writing clearly. Maybe a pic helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-overhang.jpg  

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 06-25-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Tex,

Like the "brick dust martinin" I think a had too much of it so not writing clearly. Maybe a pic helps.
i think the overhang (not to be confused w/ hangover) is normal as the oven dome curves upward. The center of the brick is closer to the center of the oven than the corners. so as you go up, the brick above will have a slight overhang in the center and the bottom corners will align to edge below. HTH
As long as your IT is set and cant move, your should be good.
Tex
So does a "Dirty Brick Dust Martini" have Olive juice or crumbled firebrick? Maybe a brick chip for garnish?
You get a lot of great advice on the forum. Just enjoy your build and make it your own.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

There is no way around that, really.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tscar,

Thanks, that is the way it is then...thanks for getting back.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tex,

Yes we do get great feedback from this forum. It has helped me tremendously, thanks all you WFOs

Also, Christmas in July, well almost July. My brother-in-law asked if I wanted some wood for my oven that he was taking to the dump. Low and behold I ended up with about a 1/3 of a cord of cherry wood. I think he just wants to be invited to the grand pizza oven firing

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gulf,

Still toying with an isolated outer arch. I your opinion, if I were to build a decorative brick buttress the width of the outer arch (say 4") and butted up against the outer arch would this be enough support or would I need to have a buttress the depth of the outer arch to the inner arch. I am not going to build a massive chimney like you but maybe a 1.5 foot above arch topped with a 3' section of duravent.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf buttress idea.pdf (27.4 KB, 239 views)

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 06-25-2012 at 12:58 PM.