Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman View Post
In my experience the angles are consistent as long as the brick size is equal across the course. Once i had the trim one brick to correct an angle or taper, it is difficult to get back to the consistent angle. If i cut the whole course first, and left room for mortar in the calc, everything looked pretty and ready.
My $0.02 on this is that if you make the bottom width of the new course the same as the top width of the last course you end up with the same number of bricks on both courses and a) your angle remains the same and b) you don't have to worry so much about staggering your joints!

of course, my sloppy mortar joints would always seem to mess up alignment for me - and I had a pretty imprecise jig system. But if you are being super precise with your cuts and are able to keep your mortar joints consistent it should work very well. I'd recommend trying that approach as the starter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dennis,

My build is in the early stages of the brick laying, what can I say, your done and cooking pizzas, my pizzas come in a cardboard box right now. Going to take all this in and plug along. I have never done any masonary so trying to be precise and learning a new skill don't seem to go hand in hand. My build is going slow right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-37-course-2-6.22.12.jpg  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Master Builder

Smile Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

I would definitely try DJs approach, as he is spot on. My problem, i think is the accuracy of the cuts and once you get off, using the width of the bottom of the top brick the top of the lower brick gets crazy and then you make a cut to save a bond and it gets more crazy. The lower courses are easier and, IMO, get more difficult as you go up.
Russell, you have a much superior setup for the cuts. I used pieces of cut bricks and string and a porcelain marker. I wasnt able to use DJ's method because i was off before i knew that method.
Your patience will definitely pay off, just don't worry if you have to make adjustments as you go. It looks like you will be schooling us in no time. And as Gianni told me, it adds character to your oven.
Tracy

Old 06-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Dennis,

My build is in the early stages of the brick laying, what can I say, your done and cooking pizzas, my pizzas come in a cardboard box right now. Going to take all this in and plug along. I have never done any masonary so trying to be precise and learning a new skill don't seem to go hand in hand. My build is going slow right now.
Russell -
Please take my comment on precision as a compliment! I am super impressed with your build thus far. You've done some stuff I totally wish I had done (that jig comes to mind...). I figure if I there is anything that can pass that I learned along the way that might be useful, I should.

Personally I think I made a mess of the mortaring but the thing gets hot and it is still standing, so I am happy with outcome!

Dennis

Old 06-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You guys do know that when the real Italian builders "cut" or "bevel" a brick they do so with a hatchet most of the time, right? Basically they just use half brick and fill in all the gaps when done with a runny refractory mix.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dennis,

I absolutely take your comments as a compliment. This forum is the best resource I have. My grandpa always said there are lots of ways to skin the cat and if you ain't learning your dead. Thanks for the feed back. I am going to cut the next course and play close attention width of the old top and new bottom course. I have to cut them anyway since I have all tapered bricks (roughly 1.5 -2.0 degree taper).

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tscarborough,

Does this apply to Italian women too, my better half is Italian and she has to be the toughest sidewalk inspector in the valley.......... hence the tight mortar joints

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh they keep the inside joints plenty tight, the oven just ends up looking like a porcupine before they clad it.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Putting along, did 3/4 of course 3 (course 4 if it were standard 2.5" thick brick). Drill holes in one brick, 0.5" from the interior wall and 0.5" from exterior wall for thermo couples (thanks to Karaga Dude's input). Have some 316 SS tubing that I may insert the TCs into but the jury is still out on that idea (any pros or cons welcome). I have flexible wire TCs with mineral coated wire and good to 2000 F. Just placing TCs to satisfy the tinkering side of my brain.

As suggested by Texman, cut my course 3 in segments, so far no adjustments need but a small angle correction might be coming up as I close this course. Jig is working as designed.

Installing the arch as I finish the course, making final cuts as I close as suggested by GianniF. Keeping an eye on small closure bricks (thanks Tscarborough).
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-dscn2591.jpg   Wood Fired Beehive in Utah-38a-course-3-6.23.12.jpg  

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-24-2012, 06:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Doug,

Thanks for the input. I will take you advice and move to the next course which will place the TCs about 11" up in in the dome wall and about center front to back. Appreciate the feed back.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log