Old 05-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Who gets the most cracks? Square vs Angled cuts

Rigidity is NEVER a desired property of mortar.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

All very interesting.. I was very concerned about thermal shock but after 4 or 5 2-3 hour heating / "cooking" sessions, I finally decided that these ovens can handle it and told myself to just forget about it and do the 90 minute blaze of glory heatup cycle. I don't see that the oven has suffered, "cracked", but I'm no longer inspecting other than when the inside goes clear, maybe I should take a closer look. Is there some other variable contributing to cracking? Insulation or lack of? or some fire brick quality like particle size or??

In the end, my recomendation is like some others, If you are the type that is really going to be bothered by cracking, maybe a modular oven would suit you better.

I sure enjoyed the brick working and how the dome shaped up. I still look at the pictures of the finished dome and think "how in the ... rectangular bricks into a hemisphere.. Too cool!

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 05-22-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I took the time to cut the angles. I did not use mortar on the inside, so cracks are not an issue. I have no clue whats happening on the outside of the dome since its covered. If I had it to over again, I would make shims for the outside gap out of brick. The mortar could crumble, dissolve, evaporate -the oven will stand. If I ever build another, I would cut all the angles so no mortar is required ( or buy a FB kit )

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Journeyman

I love this thread, it should be mandatory reading for all new builders.
Eric
Old 05-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Master Builder

I agree, this thread is most informative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 05-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Apprentice

Well I think I feel a little more comfortable now with just making the basic cuts and not obcessing too much about that....I did some angle cuts at the top of the soldiers and laid the first 20 or so in. I really stink at bricklaying. I my inner joints are not very tight and I was really having a problem with the mortar. first it seemed too thick then it seemed like I had it too thin. I found it easiest to with if it was about the consistency of organic peanut butter. I didn't even realize I was starting to make the bricks lean to the side untill I was cleaning them up.the last one really has an ugly lean to it.

what is the secret to buttering these thing and pushing them together without making the other bricks move or come apart from each other. I had to go back and push some of the prevous ones back together as I went. It'll be a miracle if this thing stands up when it's done.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodchuckDad View Post
what is the secret to buttering these thing and pushing them together without making the other bricks move or come apart from each other. I had to go back and push some of the prevous ones back together as I went. It'll be a miracle if this thing stands up when it's done.
I didn't even bother buttering the sides of the bricks. Once the course set the next day I forced mortar into the joints using my fingers, from both inside and outside the dome, like if I were grouting tile.

George

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 05-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Woodchuck, just a suggestion, but I would lay down some wood or cardboard to cover your surface. It will save you a butt load of time from cleaning up the dropped / splashed mortar. In regard to the mortar issue, I would just butter the inside joint and use a grout bag for the back after things have settled. As far as bricklaying - we have all been there. When you drop in your plug, you will look back and say, damn, I'm a mason.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Apprentice

yeah, after cleaning up all the crap I dropped I am gonna put down something before I go on with the rest of the soldiers. And I am sure I will say something when I drop that keystone in but I darned sure won't proclaim myself a mason.

My slow journey to pizza.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatgirl View Post
The super meticulous people who cut their bricks so that there are the tiniest of joints are also the people who obsess about cracks. Those of us that that were less meticulous have no idea whether we have cracks or not
Hahaha This is sooo true for me. I put globs of mortar and so far haven't even seen a crack in the interior of the dome or the arches. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough (or maybe I'm not too bothered if I do have cracks or not). I do have cracks on the stucco which covers the insulation but mainly where the stucco meets the arch and chimneys. It's to be expected I guess since the two materials have different heat expansion properties.