Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: What do you have for Insulation

That may be overkill, unless you need the additional height. Cool face of 3" of insulation should be <= ambient temperature when your oven is going full blast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Journeyman

Actually I don't need the height I can make it up in my slab elevation. So 3" of that board will do it!! That saves me having to mess with vermiculite. Ahhhh some good news.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
I found a place that is local that sells pre fabricated ovens and they place Skamol under their ovens. It's a 3" thick board. Here is a link to the board:

http://www.skamol.com/media/1[calcium_silicate_slabs]A4.pdf

You might have to copy and paste the link to your url for some reason.

Is this a good one to use? If so this will save me a lot of time and money on shipping !
Calcium Silicate (at least 2" thick) will work fine. It is being used successfully under many ovens on this site. Are you buying from the board from the oven dealer, or a local warehouse?

Maine has a large pulp and papermill industry. The industrial insulation suppliers which supply them will usually have the best prices. Note: They usually will not sell less than a case. 2" calcium silcate usually comes in a box of 7 boards that are 1' X 3' X 2". If you search and call for prices, make sure that you use the term calcium silicate, and ask the sales clerk to repeat that back to you when getting a quote. Stay away from "brand names", they are meant to be confusing .

Old 03-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
Actually I don't need the height I can make it up in my slab elevation. So 3" of that board will do it!! That saves me having to mess with vermiculite. Ahhhh some good news.
Glad to see that you have a plan . But, vermicrete ain't a problem. It has it's place, if it's done right .

Old 03-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Glad to see that you have a plan . But, vermicrete ain't a problem. It has it's place, if it's done right .
Yes, butto not have to do that and being able to buy the cal sil board 10 minutes from my house is nice. My sister is a chemical engineer and works in pulp and paper. Ill give her a call. Thanks
Gulf likes this.