Old 10-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Serf

Default Re: Wayne's SF Bay WFO - FB Pompeii 90 Kit

yes, this forum has been great!
Old 02-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Serf

I just joined the forum and noticed that you live near me. I was interested in seeing your final product. Did you finish your oven?

Byung
Old 02-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Peasant

i've taken a few months off from working on the oven due to weather, bathroom remodel, and other smaller more pressing projects around the house. i'll probably get back on it after my in-laws visit next month.

-wayne
Old 04-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Time for a few more pictures.

Chris
Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Peasant

Apparently, I took 2 years and 2 months off. Just cleaned up the space. Will snap a few pictures and back working on it this weekend. I didn't even know my thread still existed.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Peasant

It took a local oven builder buddy to kick me in the pants to get me back to my oven. I had to scrub and add a little bleach to my soaking tub to get the moss off of the bricks. We got most of the 4th row in place and the entry mortared in. I took out my plywood to try to cleanup some mortar from the entryway. It was warm out, so hopefully the misting of water throughout the day slowed down the mortar cure.

I'm trying to figure out what I had in mind with the arch transition and vent transition. The 2 test pieces, not mortared in yet were cut 2 yrs ago - see the greenish tinge? The beginning of my arch looks like it also has a reveal for the future door. The entryway looks like it'll ease/slant into accepting a Simpson Duravent 8" Collar that I bought - 2 yrs ago.

Next step, wood arch support. Cut bricks for arch and next row.
Attached Thumbnails
Wayne's SF Bay WFO - FB Pompeii 90 Kit-top-view-row-4.jpg   Wayne's SF Bay WFO - FB Pompeii 90 Kit-photo.jpg   Wayne's SF Bay WFO - FB Pompeii 90 Kit-arch-vent-transition-pieces.jpg  
Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Peasant

I built the wood frame to support the inner arch. I did miscalculate the mortar spacing so I had to trim the right of center brick a bit to make it fit. In hindsight, I should've trimmed the 2 middle bricks to make it symmetrical. At least this is the inner arch.

My current row looks like its going to float and not transition into the inner arch.

I guess I'll worry about this after I see if my arch falls down after pulling the support.
Attached Thumbnails
Wayne's SF Bay WFO - FB Pompeii 90 Kit-oven1.jpg   Wayne's SF Bay WFO - FB Pompeii 90 Kit-oven2.jpg  
Old 09-24-2012, 06:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Welcome back to the WFO builds. Keep the pics coming.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Peasant

Aaaggghhh!

So, my mortar didn't hold in 3 spots - at the shoulders and between two arch bricks.

HELP!

What's the common masonry knowledge to redo this? Should I chisel and grind it down to a clean surface or will it stick with new mortar?

What's the typical cause of it not adhering properly. Mortar too thin, too thick, drying too fast, brick too wet?

Or should I recut new arch pieces to try to bring the arch back toward the dome in hopes to make the transition smoother?

-Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Wayne's SF Bay WFO - FB Pompeii 90 Kit-oven1.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
What's the typical cause of it not adhering properly. Mortar too thin, too thick, drying too fast, brick too wet?
Mortar drying too fast, bricks getting knocked while the mortar is still green, too wet and the binding agent gets washed away. Those are few that I can think of.

You can clean the bricks and re use them. Or if the arch transition bothers you then it is also opportunity to try to fix that.