Old 08-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Serf

Default Re: Wayne's SF Bay WFO - FB Pompeii 90 Kit

Wayne,
I'm in Millbrae and have a 10" HF saw. If we could work out a schedule, I wouldn't mind sharing it with you.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Master Builder

The FB pompeii build document seems to be evolving over the years.

When I started posting on this forum I think it listed placing insultaion under the slab vs on top.

Once these latest innovations become accepted as standard practice, I would not be surprised to see them incorprated in the pompeii book.

Looking good!

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:19 AM
Peasant

Christo,

Very true. This forum has been more informative and detailed than the e-book. I guess I just expected that FB would have updated the e-book for the kits and materials that they were selling - since it mentioned that the kit includes a CD with build instructions. Anyways, I'm appreciative that this forum exists.

-Wayne
Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Laborer

Glad to hear the concrete pour went well. Soon you can start working on the fun stuff.

When I laid out the insulating boards that I got from FB I foudn that they were not exactly the same thickness. I am currious if you find that is the case with your boards.

Keep up the good work and the postings.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Peasant

My FB insulation boards were not that bad. After what everyone has mentioned I didn't have high expectations. I figure whatever the difference is, it'll level out with the fireclay/sand mixture. I just need to find the fireclay. I do like the 12 x 12 floor tiles. There seems to be enough of them with the kit. I was a little disappointed that FB had to source these insulation boards from China. Who knows, there's probably an "acceptable " level of asbestos in this product.

I was planning on cutting a few of the floor tiles so the joints are staggered. Is this a good idea?

I still haven't solved my tile saw issue yet. Since the weather's been nice, work has slowed a bit. Tile saw first and then we'll start rolling again.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Sorry for the funny shading with my picture. My oven location is in a tight spot - right in between a big shade tree and my fig tree.
Attached Thumbnails
Wayne's SF Bay WFO - FB Pompeii 90 Kit-floortiles01.jpg   Wayne's SF Bay WFO - FB Pompeii 90 Kit-floortiles02.jpg  
Old 08-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Serf

I won't be using my saw until Sat. If you would like to you are welcome to use it. Then I won't use it until the next Sat.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Peasant

Jerry,

That's very kind of you, but I think I'll end up picking one up sometime soon. The time I have to work on my WFO is kind of sporadic, so it'd be a mess to coordinate. I appreciate the offer though. How far along are you with your build? I'd be interested in seeing your progress at some point.

-wayne
Old 08-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Serf

I'm hoping to close the dome this sat. I need to go up to Windsor this week for more mortar. Six bags so far.

I would like to see the kit you've got. It took a lot of running around to find all the components for the oven.

I'm on Bayview Ave. close to San Bruno park.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Peasant

woohoo, just picked up an HF tile saw yesterday. Hopefully, its plug and play.

I do have a question. I'm using the 12" by 12" floor tiles from FB. Should I cut some of the big tiles to stagger the joints on the floor, or should I just go with the long seams down the middle and across. Does this make a difference at all?

Has anyone built from the FB Pompeii kit yet?
Old 08-20-2009, 04:55 PM

If it were me, I'd cut the front tiles on the diagonal so there would be no peel catching horizontal seams on the floor. Bit of extra work, but hey, you want to play with your new saw anyway!