Old 03-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Waterproofing Outdoor Igloo Style Oven

4 to 6 mil polyethylene sheeting, or what ever type of waterproof sheeting you have. Saran wrap, ziplock bags, a bread wrapper, whatever.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Apprentice

Got it! Now I understand. So any moisture that has evaporated from the dome will condense on the sheet which will indicate that there is still water present. If there is little or no condensation then that would indicate that it is dry enough.

Thanks for that tip! Genius.

Raffy
Old 03-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"What do you mean by acrylic stucco? "

It is not a cement product at all. It remains flexible. You can also get it in various colors. It is "water resistant" whereas traditional stuccos are not.

ACRYLIC FINISH VS. STUCCO FINISH
Old 03-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Apprentice

Not to steal this thread, but along the same lines, I put a coat of the home brew mortar without the fireclay on my dome. How long does it need to cure before I put a brown coat/scratch coat of stucco? Or, is the homebrew about the same as the scratch coat?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 03-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Actually, Neil, your standard acrylic finish is not flexible at all. There are elastomeric acrylic finishes, but even they will not bridge any cracks in the base over 1/8" and they are iffy on anything over 1/16". Unless you are using a system devised by a manufacturer and follow the details exactly, acrylic finish coat is not that good an option. As a rule, synthetic stucco is not a DIY material, and any issues you have will not be covered by the distributor or manufacturer. They normally require applicators to be certified.

Cementious is cheaper, more forgiving in terms of installation, and performs just as well.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used a driveway sealer (3 coats) and that seems to be OK.

Has been pretty dry here lately but the rains come in a few months time so that will be the big test of its waterproofness...
Old 03-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Simple elstomeric paint over cement would seem to be ideal to me, although driveway sealer should remain both breathable and flexible. Is it black?
Old 03-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

" There are elastomeric acrylic finishes, but even they will not bridge any cracks in the base over 1/8" and they are iffy on anything over 1/16"

Yes, this is what I used. Painted on two layer directly onto the vermcrete. Did the curing and firing. Several cracks developed, some were about 1/16 inch. I then put on another layer of the acrylic stucco. No problems since
Old 03-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just to be clear, Acrylic finishes are troweled on, with an application thickness of 1/8-1/4". Acrylic paints ("coatings" is the real term) are applied with a brush at 20-40 mils dry. Both can be elastomeric, but neither are unless specifically designated as such.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:26 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Simple elstomeric paint over cement would seem to be ideal to me, although driveway sealer should remain both breathable and flexible. Is it black?
I'm sorry, I don't know what your question is referring to. Do you mean the render of the oven or the paint?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.