Old 05-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Waterproofing Dome

Can someone post a pic of this vent in question. Almost seems like its not even worth waterproofing(in my case)
Old 05-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

my vent is incorporated in the support for the flue pipe. Moisture can escape between the two terra cotta caps.
Attached Thumbnails
Waterproofing Dome-pa180120.jpg  

Last edited by david s; 05-04-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Master Builder

Thanks for the pic. Thats a nice little oven.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

V-Wiz,
I like the way David treated the vent issue. It has been done several other ways. Neil2 used a decorative plate as rain cover for the vent hole. CobblerDave used a brass insert with a removable plug. I am incorporating a filter/breather cap used for industrial gear boxes. I will have to decorate mine in some way to allow it to blend in. UtahBeehiver is on the road to installing a vent as well. There is no telling what Russell will come up with to decorate his .

Here is what mine looks like at the moment.

The vent that I have is a 1" threaded vent with a 4" X 3" filter cap. They can be found in smaller sizes. I am pretty sure that the one I looked at the other day is a 1/2" threaded vent with 2" X 1 and 1/2" filter cap.

This one is placed in a 2" to 1" threaded bushing. I will not permanently attach it until I apply the split brick to the dome.

I think that a vent can be installed in a way that it can be removed and plugged inconspicuously. It can be left in place until the end of the curing process. I'll probably leave mine in place though. Our wet season is year round .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Master Builder

Thank you for the picture. I think for now i wont do anything. In the future if i decide to do it i can drill a hole at the top. We shall see
Old 05-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Thank you for the picture. I think for now i wont do anything. In the future if i decide to do it i can drill a hole at the top. We shall see
I can respect that decision. In your case: where you have a pre-cured dome, no v/pecrete insulation to cure, and also living in an arid climate.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Master Builder

Exactly. Honestly i didnt know the vent idea was permanent.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Exactly. Honestly i didnt know the vent idea was permanent.
For my build, it will probably be permanent. Living in a sub tropical climate, who knows . Only time and experience will tell. But, I always try to err on the side of having it and not needing, than needing it and not having it .

Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 AM
Master Builder

Gulf,
I like your particular vent.

Its not tropical here but I think it has its merits (particularly as weather in all parts of the world are becoming more unpredictable) and it could easily be capped off and painted over if not needed anyway.