Old 05-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Waterproofing Dome

Yes that's exactly what I do too.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Master Builder

This and another post talk about stuff to seal and exposed dome but does anyone experience problems with the render/stucco cracking?

Where I'm going with this one is.......people talk about a vent for moisture at the top, which makes sense for moisture but does one need to allow an expansion joint?

So this would be where you have fire blanket then render/stucco and whatever waterproofing thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your blanket and or vermicrete act as an expansion joint.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:31 AM
Master Builder

What David said, also if waterproofing is being added later i dont think a vent is needed as stucco itself does breath. So if elastomeric is being applied later down the line a vent wont be needed
Old 05-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
What David said, also if waterproofing is being added later i dont think a vent is needed as stucco itself does breath. So if elastomeric is being applied later down the line a vent wont be needed
I don't really agree with you because one of the problems with creating a waterproof skin is that it is not permeable. Acrylic coatings do not breathe like a lime coating can and they run into problems if there is significant moisture behind them just like acrylic paint on a wall ie. blistering. That is why it is essential to dry the oven out thoroughly before applying it (say 10 decent cooking fires). Any subsequent moisture build up can then be dealt with by a vent.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Master Builder

Are you saying to have a permanent vent or a temporary vent till the stucco dries?

We all know that stucco is not water proof, so i was thinking of adding/painting the stucco after the stucco is dry. Keep in mind i wont have Vcrete just insulation rolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I don't really agree with you because one of the problems with creating a waterproof skin is that it is not permeable. Acrylic coatings do not breathe like a lime coating can and they run into problems if there is significant moisture behind them just like acrylic paint on a wall ie. blistering. That is why it is essential to dry the oven out thoroughly before applying it (say 10 decent cooking fires). Any subsequent moisture build up can then be dealt with by a vent.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Are you saying to have a permanent vent or a temporary vent till the stucco dries?

We all know that stucco is not water proof, so i was thinking of adding/painting the stucco after the stucco is dry. Keep in mind i wont have Vcrete just insulation rolls.
If you seal or waterproof to the extent that it can't breathe, I feel that a permanent vent is necessary. Granted, the interior of an oven is not sealed and will be an escape route for moisture with several firings. But, I think that a vent at the apex is good insurance for present and/or future moisture issues. IMO the vent can be a a removable plug, gooseneck, or a covered vent. It can just be one more avenue for steam to escape

Just Sayin.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
If you seal or waterproof to the extent that it can't breathe, I feel that a permanent vent is necessary. Granted, the interior of an oven is not sealed and will be an escape route for moisture with several firings. But, I think that a vent at the apex is good insurance for present and/or future moisture issues. IMO the vent can be a a removable plug, gooseneck, or a covered vent. It can just be one more avenue for steam to escape

Just Sayin.

Hmmm, then if that's the case one must get pretty creative with that vent if its being left permanently, you know make it at least look nice, i know you put a soda can on yours. In that case it may even be a better idea to not even waterproof. Heck we barely get rain in CA.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Hmmm, then if that's the case one must get pretty creative with that vent if its being left permanently, you know make it at least look nice, i know you put a soda can on yours. In that case it may even be a better idea to not even waterproof. Heck we barely get rain in CA.
Different worlds, different solutions. But all ideas are worth investigating to fit your circumstance. I rarely drink soda, but the beer can was just to form a channel for the steam to escape the vcrete and render . The vent cover will not be a beer can, though.

Last edited by Gulf; 05-03-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

There are two schools of thought on waterproofing the dome because stopping water entering can also trap it in. We live in the tropics and can have a few months of torrential rain. Consequently I've opted to waterproof, but incorporated a vent that surrounds my flue. The vent can communicate with the insulation layer and help to remove moisture and also relieve steam pressure build up. Remember that when the dome is heated from the inside any water trapped in the oven will move away from the heat source i.e. outwards.